Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
Along with many other folks, I have several Email addresses, residing on several different platforms.

Among those platforms is Office 365 Outlook, which is making me angry by putting som of my important notification messages into a "Clutter" folder using Microsoft's exclusive "AI" (Artificial Intelligence) engine, which purports to know what I'm interested in seeing and hides from me what it thinks I shouldn't be interest in.

A couple of years ago, Jeff Bezos said that AI would have an increasing influence on our lives, and Elon Musk famously said that AI is humanity's biggest existential threat.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2016/06/01/amazons-bezos-hard-to-...
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/27/elon-musk...

As a self-styled libertarian and an occasional libertine, I don't like Big Brother telling me what I can and cannot do - whether Big Brother is government, big business, or some AI electronic algorithm that purports to know what I should and should not be allowed to see.

https://wikidiff.com/libertarian/libertine

Unlike Gmail and some other platforms, Outlook 365 doesn't wait for me to label a particular message or sender as Spam, nor does it create easy to toggle-between tabs for social, updates, promotions, and forums based on Google's low-key AI message classification system. Outlook 365 literally hides large numbers of messages from me deep in an unspecified and unclassified "Clutter" folder just because Microsoft's AI engine deems the sender not to be someone whose message I might care about seeing.

As we all suffer under information overload, I'm sure that some of the AI engines being foisted upon us are intended to protect us from meddlesome marketing. However, the interface with an AI engine ought to be designed so that the AI decision tree process be introduced to the user one step at a time.

How hard would it be for Microsoft's AI process to ask me the first time a questionable message or sender shows up in my inbox - posing questions such as the following:

"Do you wish to treat messages from this sender as Clutter?"

or

"Do you wish to treat messages on this subject as Clutter?"

'Hound [aggravated trying to chase down a particular company's solicitation in my Outlook Email Clutter folder]
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.