Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 13
Friday I decided to take the advice of some fellow Cisco posters and get away from the t.v. and
CNBC. I can't lift weights every day so I decided to take Cisco, the dog, for a long walk.
We were ambling along at a leisurely pace, me with my head down in contemplation, when
Cisco got my attention with a quick little jump and shove to my side with his front paws. He had
spotted another fellow walking his dog, on a leash, directly towards us.

As the person drew closer I became somewhat startled at his dog's appearance. It looked like it
had been made of spare dog parts and put together by a mad scientist--kind of a “Frankenpooch.”
The dog looked mostly Pit Bull but the two front legs were of different lengths and different fur
lengths. The left side of it's mouth was frozen open in a permanent growl-like expression
exposing what appeared to be a gold tooth. It's tail was a stub about 6 inches long wrapped in
white medical tape with some small block lettering on it.

I was even more surprised when I realized that I knew the dog's master. It was Robert Odie.
Robert Odie whom I hadn't seen since the 1960's. He still had a slight build and wore oval
silver-framed glasses. He actually looked a little like John Chambers. He was much more
beat-up looking now--the result of many “intentional miles.” I thought that he had been dead for
many years.

The last time that I saw him, I had picked him up as he was hitch-hiking on Broadway in Chula
Vista, the California town that we both grew up in near the Mexican border. I had met him
through a girlfriend that I was living with in my “hippie days.” All I knew about him was that
he was a nice guy, a hell of an artist (painter) and that he lived off government checks because
he was unable to function in society.

So, I picked him up in my old v.w. convertible. In the sixties we actually picked hitch-hikers up
even if we didn't know them. He needed a ride home so I decided to oblige. But first he had to
stop by a department store which, oddly enough, had a liquor store in it's lower level. He had to
cash his government check and buy a couple of things. O.K.

I went with him and watched as he endorsed his check, bought a six-pack of beer, a pint of
tequila and a tube of airplane glue. I had to drag him away from a young female clerk whom he
was starting to frighten by flirting with her. I drove him to his home which, as it turned out, was
a one-car garage and went in with him.

There was trash everywhere, about two feet deep, with two paths--one leading to the rear of the
garage and another intersecting it leading to a filthy, ancient, over-stuffed chair with two of it's
short legs missing on one side. He showed me around. There, painted on the interior walls in
stunning detail, were a refrigerator and a stove. Excellent “trompe l'oeil. That was it. No other

There was no place for me to sit so I stood in humble silence, maybe out of respect for his
artistic abilities or his uniqueness, as he proceeded to sit down in his crooked throne. He then
turned on an old A.M. radio station which began blasting a fuzzy rendition of “Louie-Louie”
(Lew-eye--Lew-eye). He then, with flies circling about a foot above his head, picked up a
battered old guitar with a string missing and tried to tune the guitar to the music as he drank a
beer, chased it with sips of tequila and took a big sniff of the glue which was now in an old,
dirty, white sock.

After he took a hit off the sock he extended his arm in my direction and, with a charming rotten
toothed smile, offered it to me. I took a beer but declined the sock.

That's how I last remembered him but here he was, alive and not looking half bad considering
his history.

When our approach to one-another culminated in a face-off, I spoke to him. He did not
immediately remember me but after a while acknowledged that he did. I'm not sure that he

As Cisco and his dog “Lucifer” circled each other, sniffing all the appropriate places (Lucifer
was a lot friendlier than he looked), Robert explained, with overly-wide eyes, that he was now
working on a “perpetual motion machine” made of popsicle sticks. We exchanged some “hippie
days” remembrances and parted. It was nice to see him but I was somewhat relieved that he
didn't want to come home with me and visit some more.

So, anyway, that's what happened while I didn't watch CNBC as Cisco, the stock, climbed 4+
points on better than average-day volume. Maybe I should take more walks.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.