Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 12
A little merger arbitrage opportunity.

One of my holdings, BPY, has just had a tender offer for a fixed $12.
It's trading at $11.27 now (changing fast), up from yesterday's undisturbed $10.20.
You could buy 'em now, tender them all, and make $0.72 per share = 6.5% fairly quickly.

The only way this is not free money is if the tender offer is oversubscribed,
in which case you sell only a pro-rata fraction of the shares at $12, and get "stuck" with the rest.

I own a very large number of shares in this.
I think they're probably worth closer to $20, and won't be tendering any, but others have differing opinions.
Still, getting "stuck" with some of the tendered shares from the arb probably isn't so bad.

They own a lot of offices and malls, which are not exactly in fashion right now, to say the least.
The malls are very good ones and were purchased at a big discount, but (with hindsight) not big enough.
They have a preposterously massive dividend yield of 13.5% that most people assume will get cut.
But they have a very rich parent company, the source of the tender offer, so it might not.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.