No. of Recommendations: 2
I am wondering if a broker would consider my account "valuable" to them. Hypothetical scenarios:

1. Suppose my account is 100% invested in one stock (say BRK.A). Suppose I never trade. Does a broker make any money off of my account?

2. Suppose I am 50% invested in one stock. Suppose I never trade. Does a broker make any money off of my account?

Closer to reality...I am often close to 100% invested in the market, and make only a few trades a month. When I ask if my account qualifies for any "free trade promotions" they throw a few free trades at me (10 the first time, 5 the second). I have considered moving my account to brokers that would pay me a few hundred dollars to move and/or offer me 2 years of free trades. If my current broker sees no or little value in keeping my account I assume they will stop offering free trades. I guess I'm wondering if I actually have any leverage over my current broker? Are they motivated to keep my account?

Thanks,

John
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.