Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Double OOOPs! Thanks Joe! Following your link I also came across this one: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/pending/credit.htm

I'm trying to recall the letter I saw from my brother-in-law. He had called the number and was sent this letter after requesting more info.
The 3 credit agencies in your link were listed and the 4th I just don't remember the name (and not familiar).

Thanks again!

L2J (needing to make amends)
To L2J,

Thank you for your post #34719 that has been removed. I called the number and removed my name and my wife's names from the listings, and I am relatively sure they mentioned 4 agencies that you did not need to call independently. It followed partly an article in the July 2002 issue of "Good Housekeeping" on protecting 'Identity Theft" (p.185-186). I am not saying that the email warning was not a hoax, but the suggestion from you and the GH article is good info for us retired folk. I have tried to opt out on the credit card mailings and calls but without much success. Perhaps the time limits expired.

Gapfan
Thanks Gapfan.

The phone number is a real opt-out number but for exclusion from preapproved credit offer mailing lists. Not, for passing along or
selling personal information to "anyone" who asks.

By now you have probably received a confirming letter requesting exclusion from these mailing lists. My wife and I also, plan to continue with the opt-out request for the same reasons you stated.

HaGD, L2J

L2J

<<<By now you have probably received a confirming letter requesting exclusion from these mailing lists. My wife and I also, plan to continue with the opt-out request for the same reasons you stated.>>>

Yes, the letters arrived today which must be signed and returned for confirmation. The 4 sources mentioned are "Equifax, Experian, Innovis, and Trans Union" for anyone else interested, and it only stops mailings from those who use those databases. Your post had guided me through the steps and choices. I keep getting so many credit card offers of "preapproved credit" that the "identity theft" even if rare is worth the precaution. It really is an easy process.

For anyone else reading this and desiring to "Opt Out" of receiving the "pre-approved" credit card forms mailed to you without your request, the phone number is 1-888-567-8688. They take your name, address and SS#, then mail a letter for you to confirm your name and address only (no SS# in the letter) to confirm the option and get your signature. I would imagine that if you did not return that letter, no actions would be taken to avoid invalid requests.

Thanks again, Gapfan :-)