Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Never, never try to make things a little better the night before a customer presentation. I think the software has emerged from the black hole it found. After the presentation, I will try to duplicate and isolate the problems. For now, I just need sleep.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
You need to stay up and respond to nonsensical post such as this one.

Who are you presenting to? What will you be wearing? A nice colorful hat will add to the facade to sell what it is you think needs to be sold. Do you know these people.

You could go to sleep or answer these questions tonight prior to your presentation.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I did go to sleep. I don't know the people, they are from a new customer. The one part I hate about what my job has become is direct customer contact.

We will see how this goes. I much prefer WebEx sessions, where it doesn't matter what I wear. Travel budgets have been cut by many companies, and traveling for a couple hour meeting is a large effort and time commitment.
Never, never try to make things a little better the night before a customer presentation. I think the software has emerged from the black hole it found.

That reminded me of my last job. I worked for EDS, Ross Perot's former company, which provided IT services for other companies that didn't want to bother having their own IT departments. The deal was for us to provide everything, including computers, since we could get big discounts on Dells. And since we had the expertise. But the last company I was at thought it could save a little money by getting its own laptops and it wasn't long before we were getting emergency calls from sales and customer service people around the country complaining about crashed machines. They should have listened to the experts.

One time the company bought a hundred or two IBM Thinkpads, and to save money they got them from the IBM warehouse in Ireland. The first thing that pops into an IT professional's mind when you mention foreign laptops is wall plugs and adaptors. These computers came with European plugs and we had to order American-type power cords from IBM and, IIRC, American-type phone jacks for dial-up, thus delaying their deployment.

As part of EDS's contract with the company, we weren't responsible to support any equipment that didn't come through us. We took care of the laptops out of the goodness of our hearts but when one arrogant manager got a machine from a local shop, we left him hanging when it broke down a month later. Bwaaaa haaa haaa.

--fleg
swoop!
swoop!
----
Childish barnyard games.
There is a saying in medicine, the enemy of good is better.

Seen one too many surgeons and physicians screw up because they couldn't leave well enough alone.

JLC
Seen one too many surgeons and physicians screw up because they couldn't leave well enough alone.

JLC

The problem transcends medicine

I have seen folks in the computer field do this consistently for over 30 years.

I have battled clients/computer users who wanted to improve really good with a fix that was not worth the interruption of services and would never yield enough to pay for itself for an equally long time.
There is a saying in medicine, the enemy of good is better.

There is a similar saying in engineering:

"Perfection is the enemy of 'good enough.'"
There is a similar saying in engineering:

"Perfection is the enemy of 'good enough.'"

An oldie, but a goodie

http://pages.uoregon.edu/ftepfer/SchlFacilities/TireSwingTab...

I don't believe that.

Only ONE too many?