Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I'm sure you might have read Goldman bought a billion or so worth of shares from Facebook, and is now reselling them to clients, charging, of course a 4% placement fee, 5% of profits and an annual servicing fee.

From a WSJ article this morning:

Some additional details about Facebook's performance emerged late Wednesday as part of an offering document. According to people familiar with the document, Facebook had net income of $200 million in 2009 on revenue of $777 million. Figures for 2010 weren't disclosed, but analysts have said the company's revenue last year could be as much as $2 billion, fueled by advertising growth.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870367590457606...

I got out excel this morning to figure out, roughly, what growth the market is pricing into facebook to justify its current $50 billion dollar valuation. Here's what I did:

1) The article states facebook earned $200 MM in 2009 on revenue of $777 million. That's a 25.7% net margin. It also said analyst have guessed - optimistically I'm sure - the 2010 numbers were almost 3x higher, with revenue at $2 billion. I took the same 25.7% margin on $2 billion to arrive at, simplistically, $514 million of cash flow. Notably, this would place the current $50 billion valuation at 100x earnings. WOW. That's worse than amazon.com.

2) I grew this cash flow by 30% (thirty percent) for 15 years, so facebook is producing 31 billion in annual cash 15 years out. A fifteen multiple on that would mean a market cap of $514 billion. The US economy's $14 trillion GDP growing at 3% for 15 years would put it at $22 billion at that time, so facebook would comprise over 2% of the US economy.

3) Discounting those cash flows by what rate would get us to a $50 billion current net present value? 18.75%.

Facebook is egregiously overpriced at $50 billion based on a number of metrics - notably current cash flow and expected future growth. It it was publicly traded, it might be my first short.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.