Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
Xmas is a good season to spend with family. Today I spent most of the day with "Family," not the flesh and blood kind but a genealogy web-app I'm working on. It started out as an exercise in fancy relational database design but in 2002 I discovered a cousin in Australia whose father's hobby was genealogy. Hans Susskind emigrated to South Africa in the 1930s and he made a record of the German branch of the family which his son, Martin, updated. At this point I have 192 family members in the database. The oldest birth date recorded is Jun 2, 1877 but that is already a third generation family member meaning his grandfather, who is in the database without dates, must be 40 to 70 years older. By my latest count I have some seven generations in the database if the young ones have not been having more young ones I don't yet know about.

The reason I worked on it today is that I'm having dinner with live family members tonight and I hope to get new data from them and to make it an evening family entertainment.

I better get ready for dinner!

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.