No. of Recommendations: 0
Learned a couple things today:

-Cars are regarded the same as household goods: no use tax due as long as you had the car for more than 90 days before moving. This according to the Use Tax booklet from the Washington State Dept of Revenue.

-Cars model year 2009 or newer must meet CA emission standards. If your new sled's sticker says "50 state emissions" it is compliant and eligable for registration in WA.

What precipitated all this was the estimate to move the Civic with my furniture: $1,300 extra. or: drive a 14 year old 100K+ mile car 2400 miles, much of it between nowhere and place to smoke a wheel bearing.

So now I have a financial incentive to buy a new sled before moving as Michigan's sales tax is 6% vs WA state, plus city of Port Angeles, plus an extra .3% levied on cars, which comes out to something like 8.9% if Gov Snyder were to propose a "temporary stimulus" sales tax holiday on new sleds...
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.