Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Forgive the clutter, but I was struck by Bruce's post about the importance of communication. From time to time I run into posts that mention battles between partners over investments. I remember from a consumer credit class the speaker mentioning that financial issues were a major part in marital struggles and divorces. As I watched my 2-yr. old run around Toys R Us and create mayhem (it's still a playground to him, not a store--yet!), I watched an argument over which potty to get because the man felt that toilet training had to happen now because the diapers were so expensive.

Anyway, I just was struck, again, by the importance of communication with our partners in putting together our goals. My wife and I have been hoping to make enough on the market to get a humble home in the Bay Area, and have watched our portfolio surge nearly matched by the daunting rise in housing values. We pulled about 50% out of the market in January and February, and hence did have everything crushed. Sadly for us, the market correction seems to have had no effect on prices; au contraire, our little neighborhood in the Richmond Hills (the mere word Richmond used to send shudders up the latte-lipped bourgeoisie) has been "discovered" and the climb seems more robust than ever around us.

Well, we're in the hunt, and we'll probably be lucky enough to find something that we can make a stand in.

This is why I am here, to make something work with my family. Not to family-value everyone (enough of that elsewhere in your lives), but the clear communication that we have been working to have has brought a greater soundness to our investing.

Thanks to all here who have helped, both by the bright answers and the "newbie" questions (I post only the latter type.) You have helped me get closer to a feeling of security in my life, which is what all these securities have been about in the first place.

Best, dash
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.