Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I've seen a few posts by BB mentioning the great game of golf and some others indicating similar interests. Forgive me for the off topic post, but I wanted to share an experience I had today that I would recommend to anyone interested in advancing their game.

After hacking around golf courses for a little more than a year, I decided that I wasn't going to get any better without some help from someone with more skill than the buddies I play with, giving me advice. My game stinks as bad as a dead fish on the beach - I won't humiliate myself by telling everyone what I shot last weekend.

I asked around for the name of a local pro and set up a lesson. It turns out the guy used to be on Ben Hogan's staff, had a great way of conveying his message, and within a half an hour he had me hitting ball after ball straighter and farther than I ever had before. I stayed after "class" and hit another bucket of balls and felt like a new person (well, except for the sore muscles that weren't used to working before).
I could have hit a thousand more - what a blast!

I realize that most people have already done the same, but if anyone else out there is a newbie like me, do yourself a big favor; find a good local pro, drop a few bucks (my lesson cost $30), and find out what to work on instead of feeling your way around in the dark.

By the way Bruce, what does a round of golf cost in Austria? Here in Lexington, KY you can play at a number of excellent public courses (including a senior tour stop) for less than $20! Semi-private courses with set you back around $30. My construction company builds a lot of industrial plants for Japanese companies and when their executives come over to run the plant, they are amazed that they can play any number of excellent courses for pennies on the dollar compared to what they paid in Japan.

Sorry for the off topic post but as you can probably tell, I'm a little excited about my game.

Theo
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.