Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I've seen a few posts by BB mentioning the great game of golf and some others indicating similar interests. Forgive me for the off topic post, but I wanted to share an experience I had today that I would recommend to anyone interested in advancing their game.

After hacking around golf courses for a little more than a year, I decided that I wasn't going to get any better without some help from someone with more skill than the buddies I play with, giving me advice. My game stinks as bad as a dead fish on the beach - I won't humiliate myself by telling everyone what I shot last weekend.

I asked around for the name of a local pro and set up a lesson. It turns out the guy used to be on Ben Hogan's staff, had a great way of conveying his message, and within a half an hour he had me hitting ball after ball straighter and farther than I ever had before. I stayed after "class" and hit another bucket of balls and felt like a new person (well, except for the sore muscles that weren't used to working before).
I could have hit a thousand more - what a blast!

I realize that most people have already done the same, but if anyone else out there is a newbie like me, do yourself a big favor; find a good local pro, drop a few bucks (my lesson cost $30), and find out what to work on instead of feeling your way around in the dark.

By the way Bruce, what does a round of golf cost in Austria? Here in Lexington, KY you can play at a number of excellent public courses (including a senior tour stop) for less than $20! Semi-private courses with set you back around $30. My construction company builds a lot of industrial plants for Japanese companies and when their executives come over to run the plant, they are amazed that they can play any number of excellent courses for pennies on the dollar compared to what they paid in Japan.

Sorry for the off topic post but as you can probably tell, I'm a little excited about my game.

Theo
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
<< I asked around for the name of a local pro and set up a lesson. It turns out the guy used to be on Ben Hogan's staff... >> ( nyuk nyuk )

My apologies in advance, but that line put me in mind of an ancient Johnny Carson episode. Johnny had Mrs. Arnold Palmer on as a guest, and at one point he asked her if she had any sort of superstitious ritual she that performed on the night before a big tournament round...she answered that she liked to "take out Arnold's balls and rub them" - swear to God - and Johnny replied, without missing a beat, "That must make his putter come alive!" ( or words to that effect )

;^)

rex

No. of Recommendations: 9
Speaking of balls, the following scientific study may be relevant: Subject: FW: Mngmt study

After a two year study, the National Science Foundation announced the
following results on America's recreational preferences:
1. The sport of choice for unemployed or incarcerated people is:
Basketball.
2. The sport of choice for maintenance level employees is: Bowling.
3. The sport of choice for blue-collar line workers is: Football.
4. The sport of choice for supervisors is: Baseball.
5. The sport of choice for middle management is: Tennis.
6. The sport of choice for corporate officers is: Golf.
Conclusion: The higher you rise in the corporate structure,the smaller your
balls become.
Stvfox
No. of Recommendations: 0
Conclusion: The higher you rise in the corporate structure,the smaller your
balls become

Hahaha...that was hilarious!

I agree with Housewrecker though, that a few lessons for a beginner are well worth it in the long run. I improved my game significantly after being a duffer/hacker for a long time after just 4 or 5 lessons.

Funny that my first post on the Gorilla Game board would be an off-topic post...

Iohan
Sheesh, I thought this was one of the more civilized boards ;)

From Sidney James' introduction to the great 1957 book, "Five Lessons; The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" by Ben Hogan:

The yearning to play a better game of golf is a national mania in America. No man who golfs is so stubborn, so conceited, so arrogant or so accomplished that he is not constantly striving to improve his score. He may not admit it to others. He may pretend that mediocrity is enough for him. ("I shoot in the 90's and I have fun. That's good enough for me.")
No. of Recommendations: 2
Sorry, somehow that got posted. One more time:

The yearning to play a better game of golf is a national mania in America. No man who golfs is so stubborn, so conceited, so arrogant or so accomplished that he is not constantly striving to improve his score. He may not admit it to others. He may pretend that mediocrity is enough for him. ("I shoot in the 90's and I have fun. That's good enough for me.")

This man is telling a white lie and he knows it. He wants desperately to break 90 and when he does, he will want just as desperately to break 80. Let him shoot in the high 70s and he will have but one dream; par or better.

The golfer truely believes in long engagements. He courts a mistress as fickle as she is bewitching. She leads him on with little favors that fill him with hopes of conquest. Then she scorns him and humiliates him (in front of his friends, too) and leaves him despairing...

He comes back, of course. And then, suddenly the miracle happens. The despairing man who could do nothing right now can do nothing wrong. The bewitcher leads him on. Now he becomes arrogant and conceited again. He sees things clearly... In his great joy, he finds that he loves all his fellow men, especially those in his own foursome. He wants to share his newly discovered secrets. He gives them freely to his companions. He is a Daddy Warbucks for generosity. He is also a pain in the neck.

But the game, the bewitcher, will take care of him. At the moment when his confidence is highest, his happiness indescribable, she will let him have it. He will slice his drive, he will blunder his way back onto the fairway and into a trap, he will four-putt the green. He will be chastened. He will know humility again.

Good luck to all!

Theo
No. of Recommendations: 1
Sorry, somehow that got posted. One more time:

This man is telling a white lie and he knows it. He wants desperately to break 90 and when he does, he will want just as desperately to break 80. Let him shoot in the high 70s and he will have but one dream; par or better.

The golfer truely believes in long engagements. He courts a mistress as fickle as she is bewitching. She leads him on with little favors that fill him with hopes of conquest. Then she scorns him and humiliates him (in front of his friends, too) and leaves him despairing...

He comes back, of course. And then, suddenly the miracle happens. The despairing man who could do nothing right now can do nothing wrong. The bewitcher leads him on. Now he becomes arrogant and conceited again. He sees things clearly... In his great joy, he finds that he loves all his fellow men, especially those in his own foursome. He wants to share his newly discovered secrets. He gives them freely to his companions. He is a Daddy Warbucks for generosity. He is also a pain in the neck.

But the game, the bewitcher, will take care of him. At the moment when his confidence is highest, his happiness indescribable, she will let him have it. He will slice his drive, he will blunder his way back onto the fairway and into a trap, he will four-putt the green. He will be chastened. He will know humility again.

Good luck to all!

Theo

Sounds just like the stock market!!! <G>

Terry
Sounds just like the stock market!!!

The only difference I see, based on my limited experience of both, is that golf usually rewards you for working hard and the market usually rewards you for sitting tight and not doing anything!
Housewrecker:

I asked around for the name of a local pro and set up a lesson.

Wow, I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. I've taken 3 out of a series of 6 lessons and see a lot of improvement already. By simplifying my swing and taking out all that extraneous movement, I have much more reproducible results. Just straight back with quiet wrists, then come all the way through and finish. One thing that helped me was visualizing that the only parts of my body that should be moving are those parts which are required to allow my arms to swing freely.

Anyway, I've been playing for a dozen years or so but have always been a hacker. I finally set a goal recently to develop a fundamentally sound swing and just see where that takes me. I'm on the range 4-5 days a week now and I'll start playing again once I get a little more comfortable with my new swing.

By the way, If you're in the Houston area, my instructor's name is Jim Murphy, and he owns the Training Station near Greatwood. He's outstanding. He's the only instructor I've had (out of 3) who's actually able to successfully communicate to me what it is I need to do. Also, he's helped me know by the flight of the ball what I did wrong on any given shot; i.e., if I slice it then I didn't come through completely (this isn't the only cause of a slice but in my case it usually is). If I hit it fat, then I probably either got too wristy or else tried to kill it and lunged at the ball (those deadly extraneous movements). You wouldn't believe how helpful it is to know what to change on the next shot rather than trying various unsuccessful solutions for the rest of the day.

By the way Bruce, what does a round of golf cost in Austria? Here in Lexington, KY you can play at a number of excellent public courses (including a senior tour stop) for less than $20! Semi-private courses with set you back around $30.

I'm not Bruce (obviously) but in Houston, most of the better public courses are ~$50 - $75, although there are some decent courses for under $40 (weekend rates with cart). Weekday and twilight rates, however, tend to be pretty good for most courses. My lessons cost $225 total for 6, and it's well worth it already.

My construction company builds a lot of industrial plants for Japanese companies and when their executives come over to run the plant, they are amazed that they can play any number of excellent courses for pennies on the dollar compared to what they paid in Japan.

I've heard of outlandish green fees and membership fees in Japan (seems like I heard $100's of dollars per round?!). I've heard as well about multi-level driving ranges (people hitting from above and below you) which are also very expensive. Real estate is pretty hard to come by in Japan, I guess...

Jason

homewrecker said Sounds just like the stock market!!!

The only difference I see, based on my limited experience of both, is that golf usually rewards you for working hard and the market usually rewards you for sitting tight and not doing anything!

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of you statement. I have over 30 years experience playing at golf. I just wish I had that much experience with investing.

Since I work, part-time, at the Kingwood Country Club in northeast Houston as a marshal....I, uh, ..... don't know what a round of golf costs - maybe a couple of dolars if I lose a couple skins.

Harold