No. of Recommendations: 5
When the pharmacy charges $67 cash for a prescription, but the GoodRX "coupon" lowers the price to $8.90, who loses out on the $58.10 difference? The pharmacy? The drug company? Split?

That is, why don't pharmacies automatically apply the GoodRX "coupon" to all cash purchases?

On a related note, my mom started using a GoodRX coupon with a local grocery store pharmacy because their cash price with GoodRX ($66?) is less than the co-pay she was paying for the drug ($96?) with her insurance provider. It was her most expensive co-pay, so I was using the Internet to see if I could find a lower price. Blink, other pharmacies on GoodRX, and an on-line mail order pharmacy also had prices less than her co-pay.

When I went with PillPack for a few months several years ago, their price for those paying cash was claimed to be the lowest price on GoodRX. However, the prices were based on 30-day prescription prices. At the time, I found I could save money by going to 90-day prescriptions at CostCo.

I plan to contact PillPack again, because that on-line mail order pharmacy I mentioned is now often the cheapest price for medications I look at, and they charge by the pill, so there would be no per pill price change between 30-day and 90-day dispensing.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.