Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
DH & I are both in pretty good health, but being over 65, decided to start having groceries delivered via InstaCart*. Tried it this week for the first time, and it went well.

I emailed our robust 80-something neighbor offering to help her with ordering grocery delivery, given her grown children live 100's of miles away. She could try it herself while I'm on the phone with her to walk her through it, or she could email me her grocery list and I'd order for her. She declined, having just been to the supermarket herself (with face mask). Said she's good for now.

And then I realized: her kids can help her just as easily as I could! If help is online, doesn't matter if the helper is next door or miles away. I might suggest it. Of course, kids might have already offered, and neighbor declined, and they're tearing their hair out about their mom taking unnecessary risks, but that's all between them. Either way, I'm off the hook. :)

(* I tip 20%. Default is 5%. No wonder they went on strike - that won't even cover gas!)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I go to the grocery store and drug store for the family. We are not in an area
that has seen a large bout of infections - but I choose to decide what suits
our fancy.

Howie52
A firm believer in choice.
We tried Instacart, delivery was sometime in the next 5 days. Waited a couple of days then went shopping & cancelled our order. Might try again in the future.
No. of Recommendations: 7
A firm believer in choice.

I hope no first responders or medical personnel get involved with your "choice."
(* I tip 20%. Default is 5%. No wonder they went on strike - that won't even cover gas!)

IMO, percentage isn't the right way to go. It makes a big difference if the delivery distance is 1 mile or 12 miles. And there's a big difference between $50 of lobster tails and $50 of soda (that would be 87 1-liter bottles of sparkling water from my local Walmart). And I would much rather deliver to a ground-level home than have to carry things up 5 flights of stairs, especially if I have to make multiple trips.

However, I will note that the GrubHub suggestion is 20%, with a minimum tip of $5.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have used instacart twice with two different stores and have been pleased. I also tip 20%. Once I realized the delivery choices were a few days out, I started doing better planning. In general, I haven't needed all that much. One thing to know is that once you have an order and a delivery time, you can continue to add to it.

It is noticeable that things are very fresh and I appreciated the ability to allow a substitution or not and to get texts if a substitution might happen.

My experiences were different whether it was from the store or instacart. For the Kroger version here, it's instacart through the store. If I go to that store through instacart, the choices are fewer and the prices are higher. For Sprouts, it goes straight to instacart from the store site.
No. of Recommendations: 6
"A firm believer in choice.

I hope no first responders or medical personnel get involved with your "choice." "

**********************************************************************************

At least my life is my own and not directed or selected remotely by someone who
neither cares about my standards or my preferences.

Howie52
Individuals will always tend to differ - this makes life fun, interesting and complex.

Good luck with your choices as well.
I am liking Shipt a bit better than Instacart but if I want a particular store (Food Lion) it has to be Instacart (also, Instacart will buy wine, etc. and Shipt won't). I've gotten the same Shipt shopper twice now, so I'm guessing she lives in the area. Very good at suggesting good substitutes. And last night, she delivered in a rain/thunder/hail storm, so that was a 20%+ tip.

There's a learning curve in "buying" groceries a few days before getting them,figuring how long things will last as you use them, but as RAD says, you can start an order to get your slot, then add up until an hour or so before they start.

I haven't gone through the stores yet. I'll have to check if that gives more options. Signed up for both delivery systems, but if going through the store works better, I can switch.

cm,
looking forward to Sunday groceries
I go to the grocery store and drug store for the family.

I'm in a quandary about this. Are the stores safe?
If yes, then I could go myself.
If no, then they're not safe for Instacart workers either. It's pretty clear by now that young people are also at risk. So my having them do my shopping just shifts the risk, doesn't reduce it.
It's the same number of people-hours in the store and on the road.
"I go to the grocery store and drug store for the family.

If no, then they're not safe for Instacart workers either. It's pretty clear by now that young people are also at risk. So my having them do my shopping just shifts the risk, doesn't reduce it.
It's the same number of people-hours in the store and on the road. "

Depending upon your area and how you feel personally about risk and people, you might consider
wearing a mask - either to answer the door or while in the stores. The social distancing concept
is also something that is in your control - unless you happen to run into an old friend or a
family member not seen in a while.
Carrying a hand wipe is also feasible should you want to feel somewhat more secure.

There are things folks can do - if they wish. Some folks are more fatalistic than others.

Howie52
And there is prayer - which is always helpful for folks with faith.
I'm below the age at which my state puts people in what amounts to house arrest, but I have a history of becoming sicker than average with even minor respiratory illnesses, and I stopped going into stores about two weeks ago.

I've used Instacart once, with satisfactory results. The store in my area that offers it has been able to schedule next-day delivery pretty consistently, same-day if you order early enough. There were a few substitutions in my order, such as Fuji applies instead of Empire, but only one substitution that disappointed me. My order was due for delivery between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. and arrived at 1:05.

Another store chain here discontinued its personal-shopper and delivery services because of too much demand.

While I was still willing to shop for myself, I spoke briefly with an Instacart shopper. She said it was frustrating when people marked "no substitution" on everything, because often the store had several brands or sizes of a product, but not exactly what was ordered. She recommended being available for text messages at the time an order is being filled, because they are encouraged to check on substitutions that might be questionable.

The number of order pickers and transporters is far lower. If the business is responsible, they make certain every one of them has their temp checked, washes frequently, wears a mask and gloves, and sanitizes their carts and other equipment properly.

Shoppers in the stores can not be so easily controlled, and by simple numbers present more opportunities for an infected person to share it.
When I went to reserve a delivery time on Tuesday at the Walmart Grocery site, the earliest open windows were on Saturday. That's better than either the Fry's Food (i.e. Kroger) or Safeway delivery options.

Anyway, I put in my order, but it said I can edit the order, cancel the order, or add things to the order until 1:45 am on Saturday. I have added a few things and I have cancelled a few things and I've changed the substitution option on a few items. Very easy to do.

So, at this point, I guess it's best to plan ahead for when I might want a delivery, since it's easy to cancel if I change my mind. And modify it as needed almost up until the actual delivery time.

BTW, I did my first GrubHub delivery today (Thursday). I ordered Asian food at 11:51 am. I asked for ASAP and they gave me an estimated delivery window of 12:50-1:00 pm. It came about 12:30 pm. Hot and delicious.

I live in a retirement community where they have been delivering meals to our door for several weeks, instead of the usual "restaurant style" dining. The meals have NEVER been hot and rarely as delicious, with mostly no choices -- we get what we get.

I've used Instacart once, with satisfactory results. The store in my area that offers it has been able to schedule next-day delivery pretty consistently, same-day if you order early enough. There were a few substitutions in my order, such as Fuji applies instead of Empire, but only one substitution that disappointed me. My order was due for delivery between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. and arrived at 1:05.

Another store chain here discontinued its personal-shopper and delivery services because of too much demand.

While I was still willing to shop for myself, I spoke briefly with an Instacart shopper. She said it was frustrating when people marked "no substitution" on everything, because often the store had several brands or sizes of a product, but not exactly what was ordered. She recommended being available for text messages at the time an order is being filled, because they are encouraged to check on substitutions that might be questionable.

Consider yourself lucky that you live in an area where you can get regular deliveries from InstaCart! I signed up for InstaCart on March 25th and paid my $9.99 thinking I'd use it about once a week and get my money's worth.

Well, deliveries were out a week so my first delivery from Costco was scheduled for March 31st. Low and behold there was a strike so I had little hope of getting my order BUT at 6:00 PM Fred was shopping at Costco which in our area was closing at 6:30 PM. Then about 7 pm I get an email that my delivery has been changed to April 6th! I called but didn't feel like waiting the 93 minutes they said it would take. On April 2nd I get a text that Arther is shopping for me which was a very nice surprise. They didn't have several items on my list and I gave them instructions to pick out substitutes but we were happy to get the order.

We have tried multiple times a day, every day, to get another delivery time but there are NO times or dates to be had.

DH and I are well into the age range and we have a DIL who has a PhD in microbiology that specializes in infectious disease and we listen to her and follow her orders and her example when she says STAY HOME!

Utahtea
We use Instacart from Publix. After choosing the groceries, you can make notes under every item. I make notes under every item, or choose "do not replace." I think it would help the Instacart shopper if they can simply read my notes and shop faster than stopping to text me. Most of my notes say "Any brand is fine. Thanks!" Some of them are more descriptive.

Now what I have found is that it saves your notes for future times you shop. NICE!

The odd thing about our Instagram is that I ordered at about 5am the other day and it told me the groceries would be delivered in 3 days (I think it was). Well, they arrived the very next morning -- about 4 hours later! It kind of took us by surprise.

So, we try to stay flexible with the brands we get and we make sure we are ready for a delivery whenever it gets to us.

Footsox
Our grown kids get mad when we go to the store(s), but we need prescriptions and some fresh foods, too, and we live in the boondocks where deliveries simply don't go. My wife also often wants to personally select some things, like produce or meat. We wear gloves and masks and stay away from folks, best we can, and wash hands before and after.

Disappointed now that Hannaford's here won't allow use of our own reusable bags, insisting on giving us paper or plastic bags, even though my wife sprays and disinfects our bags before reusing them. (Their plastics may get difficult since our state voted to outlaw them July 1.) My wife also prefers to pack her own bags, having sometimes encountered weird things like a dozen eggs stood up on end in the bag (!). And, as has been noted, can you be SURE others packing your bags have really taken proper steps?

We are also fortunate to live in an area that has had relatively few infections, thanks to most people taking steps to minimize contact.

Peace be to all and may this Easter weekend bring improvement to us all.

Vermonter
Good luck with your choices as well.

Thank you. Mine will not kill anyone else.
As an robust almost 80 year old, if your email was worded the same way as your post, it sounded pretty ageist/condescending and I would likely have declined if I received something like this from a neighbor. I understand it was meant well and you didn't mean you thought she couldn't take care of herself and just wanted to provide an alternative she may not have considered.

Then again, I'm an almost 80 year old who helps my 65ish year old friends with computer problems and remembers my mother talking about how she gave the little old ladies a ride to church when those little old ladies were at least 25 years younger than she was.
I prefer to shop for enough food for 3-4 weeks myself. I mask, glove, wipe the cart handle, work fast, shop during senior hour, pack myself (I enjoy it-), and stay away from others. And leave the hubster in the car. My last shopping was March 31. Planning next for May 1 or thereabouts. Unless the situation is worse, in which case I will have to consider delivery. I do get some specialty groceries from Amazon.

I got 3 months worth of our prescriptions in early March, but DH needed to change his BP medicine yesterday. Since we use Costco, which doesn't deliver, our dr's office found a pharmacy close to us that does. They didn't charge for delivery or even give an opportunity to tip. Just left on my welcome mat, knocked on the door, and by the time I was picking up the package, she was getting into her car.

I'll be out of fresh vegetables by a week from now--then it's frozen and canned. We'll survive. Eating well so far, if rather carbier than usual.

I planted herbs, which are doing great. Bruch today was cottage cheese-herb dip...cottage cheese pureed with scallions, fresh dill and parsley, and black pepper. Finn Crisp (whole rye crackers) and veggies as dippers. Tomorrow we'll have leftover dip in an omelet.

It's not about people-hours, it's about people-numbers. If you have your groceries delivered, you are exposed to one person. If you go to the store, you are exposed to more than one person. And the more people you are exposed to, the more likely it is that you will eventually be exposed to a carrier.

So if delivery is an option for you, then it's the best option.
No. of Recommendations: 12
We'll survive. Eating well so far, if rather carbier than usual.

We told our kids if the neighbors call them to say they found us dead, it wasn’t the virus. We OD’d on carbs.

AW
Thx. The hubster couldn't wait 2 days to start his new medication, but for ongoing meds, that would work.
I can relate, AW, although I don't really low-carb. I've eaten more candy in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years. Gummy Bears and Cadbury's Fruit and Nut, particularly. Really not sure why, as I generally don't like such sweet stuff and prefer dark chocolate. Self-comfort, back to childhood, maybe.

There's only me and I get a Misfits fruit and veg delivery every two weeks, so other than the candy, which I won't be doing very often going forward, I'm not doing that many more carbs than usual.

Wessex