Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
BIL (64) brought FIL (92) over to visit yesterday, twice a week thing. He (BIL) was looking uncomfortable and asked for an aspirin then mentioned he has had chest pains off and on for a couple of weeks since a treadmill then snow shovel episode. Stuffed a couple 81 aspirin in him and called 911. Ambulance and a couple of impressive paramedics showed up, hooked him up to a couple of machines, added couple more 81 aspirin and sprayed some stuff under his tongue then whisked him off to hospital. He has his phone with him so got note last night that he absolutely had a heart attack. They are going to do a dye test and bunch of other stuff today.

Hospital downtown is rather full due to flu. The other big one was very old and was shut down due to problems, there is a new one being built not far from us but won't be ready for a few years.

Anyway BIL has a habit of helping out the old people on the street where he lives (Dartmouth across the harbour bridges) by clearing snow for them. He also runs a lot in the mornings. Time for some lifestyle changes at least for the old people on his street.

We have a snow storm changing to freezing rain then rain today. No way I want to get anywhere near a hospital with lots of flu patients but wife will probably want to go if he is there any amount of time. }};-@

Tim
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
BIL (64)... paramedics showed up, hooked him up to a couple of machines... absolutely had a heart attack. They are going to do a dye test and bunch of other stuff today.

Been there, done that heart stuff. Not fun. Got my own complications going on this week (not heart this time - other issues). I've got to see 3 different doctors over the next 3 days. Complex case stuff.

Health concerns are the worst kind.

Wishing the best for you, you DW, BIL and FIL. Please say "Hi" to RK for me. How's the Equal Rights Training Module going? I still would like to see the program outline.

'Hound
Been there, done that heart stuff. Not fun. Got my own complications going on this week (not heart this time - other issues). I've got to see 3 different doctors over the next 3 days. Complex case stuff.

Health concerns are the worst kind.

Wishing the best for you, you DW, BIL and FIL. Please say "Hi" to RK for me. How's the Equal Rights Training Module going? I still would like to see the program outline.

Mutt

Hope all goes as best as one can hope for. Last I heard Retail Council of Canada has taken over the program and have expanded it using their own money as well has hosting it on their site. It is probably still accessible from her group's website? She even had US people contacting her and showing up including Beyonce's dad who is heavily involved, he used her small Nova Scotia company to produce his own version, hope rump doesn't find out. }};-@

https://www.retailcouncil.org/media/newsreleases/retailers-p...

Retailers Proud of Efforts to Enhance Welcoming Retail Environment For All Customers

March 27, 2017
Retail Council of Canada (RCC) was proud to join today with leaders in the African Nova Scotian community and the CEO of the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission to laud the continual efforts undertaken by retailers to enhance the welcoming nature of the Nova Scotia retail environment for all customers.

... On behalf of Nova Scotia retailers, RCC reached out to the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission (NSHRC) to discuss ways in which the two organizations could work together and enhance the customer experience. The NSHRC responded proactively by consulting RCC on the development of its consumer racial profiling training course and publicity materials.

“Retailers appreciate the steps taken by the NSHRC to work collaboratively with RCC in developing the online training course dealing with consumer racial profiling,” emphasized Cormier. “Although most retailers already have robust training programs in place, retailers welcome this NSHRC initiative. RCC is confident that the online course will provide yet another educational opportunity for retail employees and third party service providers to better understand the shopping experience for Nova Scotians from all different backgrounds. Retailers value their customers and thus they will continue to lead and collaborate with stakeholders like the NSHRC to enhance the retail experience for everyone in the retail environment,” concluded Cormier.

Probably in this section somewhere: https://humanrights.novascotia.ca/content/education-and-trai...

She is busy as ever doing whatever it is she does including travelling around the province and meeting with other provincial and federal human rights agencies. She is considered a star in the business which for some reason never surprises me. Every now and then she shows up on TV where my wife spots her and tells me about it. She likes the job but says she pretty well has it running itself now and is looking forward to going back to being a senior diplomat in about 16 months.

Tim
She is busy as ever doing whatever it is she does including... travelling around the province and meeting with other provincial and federal human rights agencies. She is considered a star in the business which for some reason never surprises me. Every now and then she shows up on TV where my wife spots her...

I'm sure that RK will be a wonderful Ambassador or high level diplomat once her tour-of-duty with the Human Rights Commission is completed.

Thanks for the information regarding the online training project that she initiated.

For future reference, the following link takes you to the "Serving All Customers Better" free E-learning course offered by the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission:

https://humanrights.novascotia.ca/content/serving-all-custom...

I took the course in about 5 minutes and, after learning the statistics for the Nova Scotia population and the ratio of minorities to total population, I was able to receive E-learning credit and print out a "Certificate" of completion.

Very nice approach to explaining the polite way to greet, serve, and succeed with customers of all kind.

'Hound [certified Nova Scotia sensitivity training graduate]

;-)
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

For future reference, the following link takes you to the "Serving All Customers Better" free E-learning course offered by the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission:

https://humanrights.novascotia.ca/content/serving-all-custom......

I took the course in about 5 minutes and, after learning the statistics for the Nova Scotia population and the ratio of minorities to total population, I was able to receive E-learning credit and print out a "Certificate" of completion.

Very nice approach to explaining the polite way to greet, serve, and succeed with customers of all kind.

'Hound [certified Nova Scotia sensitivity training graduate]

;-)

Ah but have you done the Retail Council Canada version ... which I've heard has additional content? }};-D

BIL got a stent this morning, home tomorrow. Got a note 15 min ago from RK, needs grandpa to show up 0645 sharp Friday morning to "take the girls to school and Tucker to jollytails? I have a 8:30 flight to Sydney and should probably leave no later than 7 a.m.", oh the joys, grandpa duties have no limits. I told her I should make it "if we don’t get hit by Galactic extermination before that". She is really enjoying having grandparents only 15 minutes away.

Tim
No. of Recommendations: 3
Good for you, Tim!

Your actions certainly made his remaining years better!

Me? I can't lay claim to "helping".

I worked in fairly close proximity to nurses and EMS folks, and trainers for a decade. I "know" some stuff to look for, and sorta what it means.

I once visited my neighbors 4 or 5 days after the 75 year old man returned from a 10-day stay in the hospital. His wife is a task master, and was ragging on him that he wouldn't get up and walk around, get back on his feet, doing small tasks, etc, around the house and yard.

He looked TERRIBLE! His face and hands were drawn and sorta gray. He said his back was hurting, he had no energy, etc. And he had diarrhea.

I asked a few questions, listened to the wife rag some, listened to him describe how he felt. The whole vibe was weird, and it freaked me out a little. I got out of there, and went home!

At midnight he fell while getting into or out of bed, the wife couldn't pick him up, and called 911.

He was SEVERELY dehydrated. So much so that his kidneys had stopped. That caused the back pain over his kidneys. His face, arms, and hands were drawn due to the dehydration.

I "knew" that you can pinch the skin to test for dehydration. I "knew" that dehydration can cause the kidneys to stop, thereby causing back pain... But, it never occurred to me to check those on him.

He had C. diff, brought home from his previous hospital stay.

He nearly died from the dehydration, and spent another few days in ICU, and then more on the floor while they monitored him.

I still feel a bit guilty...
Ralph
I still feel a bit guilty...
Ralph

Not really funny story but I once told my boss (a very large lady from Texas) that the guy she had promoted over his head (Steve) was going to have a heart attack. She told me he took the job and had to do it. Eight days later she phoned me at 0700 (starting time) and told me I was right, "Steve had a major heart attack last night", she also said "In future if you know these things don't tell me" and slammed down the phone.

Steve survived, quit his heavy smoking which lasted maybe two weeks.

He once told me he wanted to retire and live on a boat in Nova Scotia, wanted to know how he could go about bringing all his guns with him ... got a feeling he never made it. Some whacky dudes in this world.

Tim
BIL got a stent this morning,

What is that thing the Fox Noise blowhards keep saying about you can't get care in Canada?

She is really enjoying having grandparents only 15 minutes away.

That might come to mind when she's offered that ambassadorship to carjackistan.

Steve
What is that thing the Fox Noise blowhards keep saying about you can't get care in Canada?

That might come to mind when she's offered that ambassadorship to carjackistan.

Steve

I wouldn't know as I never watch faux noise ... clearly for good reason. Maybe they should actually send some people up to find out ... nah that would be like finding out Stormy is paid to lie but the hypocrite evangelists think it is OK to give him a pass wouldn't it?

I don't think we have an ambassador to Detroit, maybe a consul general position? }};-D

A UN ambassador job would be interesting though? It will be about a year before she can start checking the list to see what is available. They promoted her shortly after she started current gig so the options are vastly improved. Also wiped out many of the nasty places as well as some grandpa would have enjoyed.

Tim <the castle in Holland is still possible>

My current favourite ad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH9yvMGeHfo
No. of Recommendations: 0
My current favourite ad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH9yvMGeHfo

Ayup! The Geico TV commercial my current favorite too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH9yvMGeHfo

Desert (We've all got places to go) Dave
Good for you, Tim!

Your actions certainly made his remaining years better!

Wife got an email from BIL this morning. The Cardiologist ran out of time yesterday so kept him one more night to check the test results for damage.

GOOD MORNING
Dr Jackson was in and I am getting out this morning.
The echo showed no damage to the heart. I was very lucky. Thanks again to You and Tim
I can't drive for a month.
Once the paper work is ready .
I am good to Go! !!!!!

Note: To all those men who feel it is a good idea to tough it out .... don't! I used to be one of them until severe pain drove me to the ER that ended up in general surgery where they hauled out a gangrenous gall bladder that was considering killing it's host. My family doc tore several strips off me verbally while assuring me there was a good chance I could have died.

Tim <seriously thought it was just back pain>
"no damage to the heart"

Now, THAT'S a happy ending!

🙂
Ralph
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

"no damage to the heart"

Now, THAT'S a happy ending!

No kidding, we drove over to visit him on Friday and couldn't get over how great he was doing. His doc actually showed him what was blocking the blood flow and I guess it was pretty yucky.

Everyone should be so lucky.

You know you are having a good run when a windstorm destroys yours and several neighbour's roofs and insurance pays to fix yours but not the neighbours then shortly after you come out of a heart attack with no damage! He really should buy lottery ticket ... oh I forgot he does, never wins anything. }};-D

Tim