Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 140
Just wanted to let evereyone know that I arrived home safe and sound from Afghanistan last night. I want to thank everyone for their words of encouragement, especially when our unit extended.

It is sooooooo good to be home.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Just wanted to let evereyone know that I arrived home safe and sound from Afghanistan last night. I want to thank everyone for their words of encouragement, especially when our unit extended.

Jay, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know. I had been wondering about you lately. I'm so glad to know you are home!

What's next for you?

Andrea

No. of Recommendations: 0

Hooray!!!!!!

I was thinking about you over the weekend, and remembering that you hadn't been posting much lately. I'd hoped it was because you were packing up and heading home.

It's good to have you back here. (In both senses).

Nancy
Just wanted to let evereyone know that I arrived home safe and sound from Afghanistan last night.

Welcome Home!

Fuskie
Who wonders what is in store next for you...

Welcome home and thank you for your service to the country.

Acme
Hooah! Good for you!

Prof
No. of Recommendations: 2

Welcome home, man. Thank you for your service.

Semper Fidelis,

Un
itallenmd:

Thank you for your service for us and for the country.

Glad you have arrived home safely.

Now back under my rock.

Spence, who needs to do some real work
Welcome home. Thanks for your service -- and for being a role model for those of us whose problems did not include being in a war zone. Your story really is inspiring. And yes, just like everyone else, I want to know what's next for you!
I'm glad you're home safely, and you have my respect and gratitude for your service.

Thank you,
Frydaze1
No. of Recommendations: 5
What's next for you?

I will stay at Fort Drum. When I was home on leave (October) they said there were going to be positions open in the Family Practice Clinic and the Troop Medical Clinic. Of course, that was before the unit was extended and I have not checked back to see what is available at the moment. I should have an answer later this week after our 48 hour pass.

As a side note, my wife and I went shopping today. That was my first trip to a real mall in months. We set out to buy several things including a new watch (mine died about three months ago), a chain saw, and a hot-air popcorn popper (the one we received for our wedding 23 years ago recently died). I also looked at iPod speakers and cellphones. As we were walking out of the store with empty hands, my wife made a comment about having gone through the mall without buying anything. It felt good. We did buy the popcorn popper at a Bed, Bath and Beyond that was down the street from the mall, but we only paid $29 for it. It is a similar style to the one we had. If it lasts 23 years then that would be an investment of just over a dollar a year. I think I can live with that especially when you consider the cost of microwave popcorn (and the fat and salt).

The trip home was not fun. It was basically 24 hours of flying with eight days of layovers in between. I kept joking that maybe all of the layovers were intentional so that we would have time to decompress, but that would be giving the military too much credit. It is much more likely that it was merely good old military (in)efficiency at work.

P.S.: I woke up to birds singing and the sight of green trees out of my window. It was wonderful.

P.P.S.: It was in the 110s the day we left Jalalabad. It was in the 50's when we arrived at Fort Drum. I much prefer temps in the 50's.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Welcome Home!

Thank you for serving on our behalf.

>> I woke up to birds singing and the sight of green trees out of my window. It was wonderful.

===

I've been away on "military business" a time or two, and know how much these little things mean.

When I returned from the assignment in the Sahara Desert, my liaison asked what kind of amenities I wanted in my temporary quarters for the week I would debrief. He got confused when I asked for "above ground with a window." I'd spent the tour living underground in a bunker to shield us from the heat.

The first day home there was a soaking rain with thunder and lightening. Everyone else scurried indoors to wait it out. I rushed out on the balcony to get as wet as I could. Someone later asked why I was reaching for the sky like a lightening rod. (grin) I was just giving thanks for the joy of rain.

Enjoy the new feeling of old things, and the surprises of new changes in old things.

Penny
Welcome home and thank you for serving.

Molly--
Welcome home, and thank you for your service. God bless you.

foolazis
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your courageous service!

<snip>

</snip>

I'd like to personally thank you for the self sacrifice and service you've given me, my family and our country.

l0ngterm
Welcome home and thank you.

Keith
Welcome home, and thanks for serving

--sutton
Very happy you are home, and thanks again.

kimmmmm
Thanks Doc, for helping preserve our freedom.
Congratulations

Welcome home

Thank you

Hugs to you!

With gratitude and respect,

MadamHusker 1
Just wanted to let evereyone know that I arrived home safe and sound from Afghanistan last night.

Happy reunion, welcome home, thank you, thank you for your continued service.

mm
(only a little jealous) ;)
Yaaaaaaaay! This is worth many many happy dances, let me tell you!

Welcome home! So glad you made it back okay!

--Booa
Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.

I'm behind on this board, but I just had to reply to this post ...

Welcome back!! Glad you made it home safely!

DizChick