No. of Recommendations: 3
I read a very interesting article about John Bogle. John Bogle is famous for inventing the index fund. He was amazing in that he had multiple near fatal heart attacks, but still went on to form the largest asset manager with 4.9 trillion of assets.

What I find most interesting, is I wonder if he is a hypocrite.

In 1960, he trashed the idea of an index fund. He claimed it would underperform mutual funds by .75%. He quoted a critic saying that the relative inflexibility of index funds makes them undesirable for the average investor. In 1973, he said, studies critiquing fund performance were wholly invalid. “I don’t see how the mutual funds performance could be very much better. Funds had delivered excellence to their investors. “

In 1974, he was fired as CEO of Wellington Management. He realized he needed a radical new way to do business, and created Vanguard, which was a mutual company, meaning, the share holders owned the company. He also deliberately designed Vanguard to drive fees as low as possible.

He was also a harsh critic of fund companies. “The way fund companies treat their clients is larcenous, trying to beat the market is a fools game, brokerage commissions are like highway robbery.
Whether you think he believed what he said, or not, he created a war between companies to charge the lowest fees, and he helped retail investors immensely.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.