No. of Recommendations: 53
OK.... this has nothing to do with being organized, but I just had a short story accepted by a very small press literary mag. Not really a big deal to anyone but me... but this is the first thing I've every had accepted for publication.

It will come out in February 2009, I'm told. And my payment is the grand sum of NOTHING.

This thing probably has a press run of about 10 magazines, and the only people who probably get them are people with work published there who want to send them to their grandmothers, but... still. They don't accept everything, I think their acceptance rate is something like 30%, which is really high, but still not, like, 100%, you know?

Anyway, it's my first thing, hopefully the first of several.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Woo hoo! what a wonderful accomplishment.

Congrats

b
I just had a short story accepted by a very small press literary mag

Congrats, MEK! It must feel good

492dea
Getting your name right there on top of your writing for the first time is a wonderful milestone. I found it inspiring, and went on to more publications. May you do the same.

Any chance of getting a sample of your writing, or perhaps a link to the article when it is published?
Humungous Deal to those of us who scribble!

Congratulations on having your story published!
I just had a short story accepted by a very small press literary mag.

Congratulations!!!!

It's a wonderful feeling, I know.

Nancy
Getting your name right there on top of your writing for the first time is a wonderful milestone. I found it inspiring, and went on to more publications. May you do the same.

Any chance of getting a sample of your writing, or perhaps a link to the article when it is published?

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, hopefully this is the first of many!

Yes, they post all of their pieces online, even before they come out in the print and PDF editions, so when they get it up, I'll post a link. Probably will be in the next few days.

Thanks, again, to everyone for their support!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Your first publication is a great thing! Congratulations!

Soup
<relurkling..>
Soup
<relurkling..>

Greetings, Soup! Please delurk again soon; you are missed! Hope all is going well in the meantime.

xraymd
No. of Recommendations: 3
Greetings, Soup! Please delurk again soon; you are missed! Hope all is going well in the meantime.

Thanks, xraymd!

I have been lurking alot lately, which is sad. I'm actually working from home this week (I work VERY close to the RNC site) so I've got alot of free time and have been catching up on alot of my boards at the Fool.

I am doing well, but more importantly, I'm so glad that YOU are doing well!

I plan to have some good debt-reduction announcements in the next month or so, and plan to have a big post on the Credit Card board.

Stay Tuned!
Soup
No. of Recommendations: 2
1) Congratulations!
2) Quit downplaying it. We're all impressed. And you have every right to be proud. ;-)
3) ANY accomplishment is about organization. Especially successful writing.

Frydaze1

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Congratulations! That's wonderful news!

--Booa
No. of Recommendations: 4

My thing is available online. I don't like the way it's formatted there, but it will be OK in the print version.

If you want to read it, go to:
http://www.scars.tv/cgi-bin/framesmain.pl?writers

and then scroll down to my name, Janet Sever, and then click on it.

I'd love feedback, good or bad.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hilarious! Loved it.

Do you have any more?

Primm
*humourous short story fan*
If you want to read it, go to:
http://www.scars.tv/cgi-bin/framesmain.pl?writers

and then scroll down to my name, Janet Sever, and then click on it.

Wow!

It reads a lot like an Absolute Magnitude story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_Magnitude_(magazine)

The ending was a little abrupt. It wasn't clear to me why the bartender turned him in.

I think because I just didn't believe this paragraph:
"The guy got quiet. I started polishing glasses. A thermonuclear blonde came in and sat at the end of the bar. She had mondo t*** that made me want to applaud; this was a bunny who’d never been in here before, or I’d have remembered. She ordered my special Panty Dropper Punch, and seemed to be looking for someone. I hoped she couldn’t see my friend back there; she’d think he was blowing me or something."

It's a little too over the top: no woman would order a drink called "Panty Dropper Punch."

It's probably time to start submitting stories to regular magazines and book publishers and starting your rejection slip collection. (Which is going to be small.) And maybe submit to the Writers of the Future contest, since I'd say this is science fiction and that field still has a market for short stories.

Took me a while to find the story since my searchbox wasn't expecting a middle initial.

Vickifool -- expert short story reader. That's why I had a life-time subscription to Aboriginal.

t***blocked by the Fool profanity filter