No. of Recommendations: 1
James Kunstler, author of the Long Emergency, has a weekly blog

from the Kunstler weekly blog:

http://www.kunstler.com/

"The American public is in chill mode in more ways than one."

"The public is convinced that we are one IPO away from attaining the sovereign rescue remedy that will permit us to continue running our Happy Motoring utopia. "

"For the moment, I blame the Democrats (and I am a registered Democrat). "

"The Democrats are supposed to represent the reality-based faction of general public. They should be able to do the math without getting sidetracked by Jesus-haunted visions of WalMart running on biodiesel. "

"The Republicans are already done. You can stick a fork in them."

Read the entire article before responding....go to the web site, and read the 'Clusterf*ck Chronicles' for this week.

He envisons a critical energy shortage, the demise of far suburbia, and major lifestyle change.

It could affect a lot of retirement plans.

t.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
As an adjunct, I read this book a year ago & this fellow makes logical sense although his title likely is a put off.

"The Coming Economic Collapse" subtitled - How you can thrive when oil costs 200. / barrel.

by Stephen Leeb PHD

I mention this only because within the chapters are some pretty good investment ideas when it comes to my own self designed basket of stocks within the alternative energy industry.

I take in as many opposing views as I can in order to form my own investment strategy.

Investment wise, I monitor my own investments, with between 20 -30 companies at any one time.

I do my own homework daily & in past 10 years have beaten the SP 500 handily.

Certainly not everyones cup of tea, but most certainly works for me.

Leeb (and Leeb) had an earlier book called the Oil Factor..good but the new book covers most of the territory...

Going to be interesting..the majors are scrambling to 'maintain' their reserve numbers...and not all reserves are equal...tar sands are hard and slow to produce...you just don't drill another well..you open another 5 billion dollar mine and a 5 billion dollar processing plant to get 250,000 bbl/day.

Some wells in Saudi almost flow that much oil a day..one well!...

But that is history...most of them are at 1/10th that now....

Kunstler's advice...head for the farms...and small towns....learn farming....and a useful 1860s type trade...blacksmith.....harness making...farming...milling.....

t.

I just watched a documentary in which Kunstler was heavily featured: The End of Suburbia. Very thought-provoking, particularly his ideas of creating more livable city-spaces.

Kunstler's advice...head for the farms...and small towns....learn farming....and a useful 1860s type trade...blacksmith.....harness making...farming...milling.....

t.
--------

I do most of this, as well as put up my own passive tracking PV arrays for both hot water & general electricity.

It is way cool since the inverter has a plug in for my Mac to get efficiency read outs in order to tweek the system.

I love appropriate tech.
I do most of this, as well as put up my own passive tracking PV arrays for both hot water & general electricity.

Have you talked about this on any boards hereabouts? I would be interesting in knowing a little about your set up - costs, output, did you self-install, are you tied to the grid, etc. etc.

If you have written about this elsewhere, give me a pointer, or perhaps we can take this to a more appropriate board (?) here at the Fool.

Thanks.