No. of Recommendations: 0
I need a company in the US to receive my US mail and forward it to me to Portugal. Anyone here have a recommendation or the name of a board where I can get recommendations?

Thanks!

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post Back To Top
From a google search. Have not explored the site:

https://mailforwarding.com/
Denny, I don't know what you do about the DNS for your sites, but the site I use for registration offers mail forwarding and the site I use to manage the actual DNS entries offers mail backup. And, the site I use to host our web sites offers various kinds of mail support which I haven't yet explored since we currently run our own mail server supporting 5 domains in-house. What specifically are you trying to accomplish?
tamhas, Denny specified to receive my US mail and forward it to me.

8-)
My USPS SNAIL PAPER mail! 😇

I had already done the Google search which brought up dozens of candidates. What I'm looking for are references by people who have used the various providers. Without that it's shot in the dark and I don't want to have to go through various providers before landing a good one.

Is there an ex-pat Foolish board?

My current forwarder in Miami uses a courier to deliver mail to their office in Caracas. The same brand in Portugal does not have a receiving end in the USA. All they have in common is the brand name.

Looking at the services, forwarding has come a long way. The better ones take pictures of the arriving mail and packages and make them available online. Based on that information one can ask for a variety of services.

- Forward good stuff
- Shred junk mail
- Consolidate or repackage goods

Some will even act as your purchasing agent in the US.

Denny Schlesinger

Tamhas: My web host offers a mail server with all the bells and whistles
Snail mail? Oh...
No. of Recommendations: 2
I would post your question on Facebook group “Expatriates in Costa Rica” and “Gringo Expats in Costa Rica - no advertising”

They talk about this stuff all day long.

Bom dia
Hi Denny

I checked with an expat friend who has lived in the Porto area for 20 years. She says all her US mail comes direct to her in Portugal. I know she also direct mails stuff like birthday cards to the US.

FWIW
🙂
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 5
This is a service I use: https://travelingmailbox.com/

When they receive your mail, you'll get an email notification with a scan the outside of the envelope and give you the opportunity to 1) forward, 2) open & scan, 3) shred.

I've been a wandering nomad since April of this year and have been satisfied with their service.
I checked with an expat friend who has lived in the Porto area for 20 years. She says all her US mail comes direct to her in Portugal. I know she also direct mails stuff like birthday cards to the US.

Thanks. I already have a Porto mailing address. That's not my problem. When I asked my credit card to use that address they said that in that case they would cancel the card in 60 days. I NEED a US service that forwards mail.

Denny Schlesinger
I've been a wandering nomad since April of this year and have been satisfied with their service.

Thanks! That's precisely the kind of info I'm after. I'll check them out.

Denny Schlesinger
I used a similar service when I lived overseas. I had no issues with using the service for credit cards. I would monitor the cards and view the statements online. I usually just had the letters from credit card companies shredded. If needed I could have a letter scanned and read it on line. If I received a new card I would have the service forward the card to my out of country address for an additional fee. I have enjoyed reading your comments on Venezuela and your travels. Best of luck in your new ventures.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I used a similar service when I lived overseas. I had no issues with using the service for credit cards. I would monitor the cards and view the statements online. I usually just had the letters from credit card companies shredded. If needed I could have a letter scanned and read it on line. If I received a new card I would have the service forward the card to my out of country address for an additional fee.

Do you remember which service you used?

I have enjoyed reading your comments on Venezuela and your travels. Best of luck in your new ventures.

Thanks! Right now I'm doing the paperwork to become a resident in Portugal. It's going quite smoothly. Today I got my Tax ID number. I got some help from a Venezuelan lady who has been here for some three years. The Portuguese bureaucracy seems well organized.

Porto is amazing, here everything seems one-of-a-kind, so much to see.

BTW, last night the lights went out in Venezuela once again

Much of Venezuela in the dark again after massive blackout
The power in the capital went out after 4 p.m. Monday and immediately backed up traffic as stop lights and the subway stopped working during rush hour.

CARACAS, Venezuela — The lights went out across much of Venezuela, reviving fears of the blackouts that plunged the country into chaos a few months ago as the government once again accused opponents of sabotaging the nation's hydroelectric power system.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/much-venezuela-dark-again...

I left Venezuela after the March blackouts on April 8. No light --> no water, no elevator, no refrigeration, no metro, total chaos.

Denny Schlesinger
Denny, I used a service called Earth Class Mail. They were quite good but I think they have raised the price of the service and are fairly expensive now.

One other point, when I left the US I was living in a State with State Income Tax so I picked an address in Nevada for the service. Nevada does not have an income tax and I wanted to avoid the small chance that a State would try to collect income tax based on my address. I would not have been been liable for tax but I wanted to avoid the hassle of dealing with it.

Bob
As a "non-resident alien" I only pay a withholding tax on interest and dividends which are an insignificant part of my portfolio.

Denny Schlesinger
I have been using https://www.virtualpostmail.com/ for years, and have been extremely satisfied with them.
I have been using https://www.virtualpostmail.com/ for years, and have been extremely satisfied with them.

Thanks, will check them out.

Denny Schlesinger