Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 31
Between taking computer brakes with my coffee cup in hand, I promised myself today is the day I am going to go through something about six boxes of pictures. I mean boxes about 2 feet high and wide. Some of these pictures I inherited from grandparents, aunts and my folks. Many I took or were given to me over the years.

What a blast it has been today, laughter, old memories, a few tears and just a lot of fun going through the stacks of pictures.

Among some of the pictures were pictures of my two brothers and me as we played on the streets of NYC, grade school and high school friends and the antics we were up to. Ice skating parties, pajama parties, at the drag races, school dances, beach parties, high school graduation, and shhhh, a couple beer parties. I never could acquire the taste for beer...really. :)

Then on to the wedding pictures, the kids through the years, family reunions, camping, trips and vacations, scouts, PTA and more.

Then on back to punching a time clock when the boys entered high school..
Another adventure of memories. Co-workers in the machine shop at GE. Retirement parties, special awards dinners, BS meetings, and my Union thug brethren, lol. I was a Union rep for many years and we had meetings, going toe to toe with the bosses, and we had parties too. And finally, my retirement party...GE offered early out for those who qualified and I raised my hand.

The next stage are a zillion pictures of the land we bought 'up north' and a picture of every single nail it seems as the house went up.

So here I am, I've gone through practically my whole life today. The good times, and 'how did we get through it' times, the sadness to see the smiling faces of those who are gone....what a ride I've been on and I know the best is yet to come...new adventures, new friends I will meet, new family members being born and more.
I just feel so good inside right now and had to share. Hope you don't mind.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
here is something to think about.

I have loaded about 1200 pictures from my family and my parents family onto my computer and my iPod, using a scanner. It took a couple of months scanning about 10-20 pics a night.

since then I visited my parents who gave me about 10,000 photos and slides (no joke) of my extended family, the oldest of which is over 100 years old. I have a picture of my fathers father and his parents and siblings in Ukraine in 1907, a few months before he left for England and then America at the age of 19.

These things are priceless and the paper they are printed on ages. But, if you scan then into a computer and create some redundant backups, they will last for centuries. You can burn them to a DVD and make copies for relatives.

How many families in America have boxes and boxes of old pictures? it is a good feeling to know that these precious artificats of our recent ancestors can be saved.

No. of Recommendations: 5
These things are priceless and the paper they are printed on ages. But, if you scan then into a computer and create some redundant backups, they will last for centuries. You can burn them to a DVD and make copies for relatives.
_____
Amen to that, dov. Mr. Winter created a DVD of about 135 images of my mother during her 89 years from her childhood to this past Christmas and we played them at the funeral yesterday. It was the best gift we could give ourselves and our family.

Juliewinter

No. of Recommendations: 3
_____
Amen to that, dov. Mr. Winter created a DVD of about 135 images of my mother during her 89 years from her childhood to this past Christmas and we played them at the funeral yesterday. It was the best gift we could give ourselves and our family.

Juliewinter

=============

by the time i was 11, 3 of my grandparents were dead. my fathers father lived until I was 22 (he was 86). He died in 1974. I really loved the old guy, and I know he felt the same way about me.

I named my son after him. Once I was projecting some old slides on the wall with my kids when they were little, about 15 years ago. And bang, there was a picture of my grandfather, smiling, probably around his 75 birthday.

My son, around 10, says 'who is that'.

That is your great grandfather Johnny, your fathers, fathers, father. So my kid goes up to the wall where great grandpa is projected, and kisses him.

I thought I would just fall off my chair. These old pictures can be priceless. a few years later my father went to visit relatives in Ukraine that we had never met, and they had another picture of my grandfather, when he was a teenager, and a picture of grandpas mother, my great grandmother. Dad had copies made and brought them back. Showed it to my son and daughter who were both tremendously impressed to have a picture of their great great grandmother.

You can't buy memories like this, preserve your old photos!

dov
No. of Recommendations: 2
here is something to think about.

I have loaded about 1200 pictures from my family and my parents family onto my computer and my iPod, using a scanner. It took a couple of months scanning about 10-20 pics a night.

How many families in America have boxes and boxes of old pictures? it is a good feeling to know that these precious artificats of our recent ancestors can be saved.

Thanks Dov,
Many pictures I got from Aunts and grand parents were of my great grandfather and extended family in Norway. When I visited there I took many of the pictures with me. It was quite a thrill to have translated to me, from a grand Aunt and 95 years old point out to me her wedding pictures. She was a half sister of my grandfather from the second marriage of g grandfather. She was able to identify a lot of the people in the pictures for me. I have everything written down and finally hope I will start the process as you suggest.
No. of Recommendations: 1

Juliewinter

I truly am sorry to hear of your loss, Julie.

Going through my pictures today brought back many wonderful memories of loved ones who were dear to me. It brought me comfort.

Thanks LurkerMom...

Felt nice reading that.

Jedi
Nice response one a totally non partisan post. It's bitterness like that where your true colors show.

On the latter yes, they feel nice.

Usually..ahem, daughters of Liberals give em good and without much cajoling.

Jedi
Thanks LurkerMom...

Felt nice reading that.

Jedi

And thank you Jedi for saying so.... :)

_____

=================================

Hate to burst your bubble but...

Please don't assume when you burn your crucial financial information, family photos, etc. to CD or DVD that they are "safe" forever.

Burnable CDs and DVDs use special dyes sandwiched between the hard plastic of the disc to provide the layer that gets burned during writing to provide the 0s and 1s of your digital data. That dye can break down over time if exposed to light or maybe just break down anyway, producing holes where there shouldn't be. ("CD rot") With enough holes in the wrong places, your disc could become unreadable because the number of errors cannot be overcome by the built-in error correction encoding used to write the data.

Also, unless the world standardizes on some lowest-common-denominator file formats (GIF for images? JPG? HTML for documents?), even if the data of a file is readable, if you no longer have software that recognizes that file format, you could still essentially lose your data. At a disc level, if the organizational structure used to write files to the disc and store a "catalog" of the files and starting / ending points isn't honored by operating systems in the future, you could still wind up with a frisbee.

For an example, just think of what you'd do with a 5.25" floppy with pfs:Write files from an Apple IIe. The data may physically still be there, but good luck trying to find a working Apple IIe with a Disk II drive that can still read the data.

As a general rule, make multiple backups of your critical family files and make sure you "upgrade" ALL of your backups as storage technology evolves. Each time you get a new computer with a new CD or DVD format drive, get data off your OLD backups moved onto the new format and make several new copies to avoid having your old format backups getting left behind in a technological cloud of dust.

WTH
No. of Recommendations: 0
As a general rule, make multiple backups of your critical family files and make sure you "upgrade" ALL of your backups as storage technology evolves. Each time you get a new computer with a new CD or DVD format drive, get data off your OLD backups moved onto the new format and make several new copies to avoid having your old format backups getting left behind in a technological cloud of dust.

WTH

============

that works
Burnable CDs and DVDs use special dyes sandwiched between the hard plastic of the disc to provide the layer that gets burned during writing to provide the 0s and 1s of your digital data. That dye can break down over time if exposed to light or maybe just break down anyway, producing holes where there shouldn't be. ("CD rot") With enough holes in the wrong places, your disc could become unreadable because the number of errors cannot be overcome by the built-in error correction encoding used to write the data.

To put a finer point on this, the current research I've seen indicates a shelf life of approx. 2 years for burned discs of either variety. To extend shelf life, keep the discs in a dark cool place and don't buy the no names. For contrast, magnetic media can last around 40+ years.

-spookysquid
Very nice post, LurkerMom. I'm glad to read you have lead a very full life. And here's to many more years of hope and happiness.

Still, it's sad to me that the very Bush Administration policies you continually advocate on this board will deny thousands of others the long, happy life that God has granted you.

We have arrested thousands without any charge, held them for years without access to their families, tortured them, released some, and yet still hold many others. What pictures will these people have to share with their grandchildren, LurkerMom? Just those we see on the internet, I suppose: dogs about to attack, men lying in blood, beaten, sodomized. The ones that are now free will be scarred for the rest of their lives. And the ones that are still held captive today, without access to lawyers, without hope of ever seeing their families again, being forcibly fed through a tube in the nose to keep them from commiting suicide?

Clearly most of the people we hold are innocent. Otherwise, why would we have released so many without charges? Why do we avoid putting them on trial, charging them with crimes? And those released have been surely brutalized. Remember, according to the Bush Administration, anything that does not cause organ failure is - by their definition - not torture! So green light for abuse!

When we finally let some go, we put them on a flight for home, with only only their physical and emotional scars as memories. Some we release to "allies" such as Egypt, Syria, Uzbekistan, etc., where we know they will be tortured further. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, right? Perhaps those guys can beat out the "truth" where we failed? I suppose Bush and Rumsfeld can only hope. Do you deny this, LurkerMom?

How can such a nice person as yourself continue to support the documented outrages Bush is commiting in your name?? Is it fear, LurkerMom? Are you scared that al Qaeda or Saddam Hussein or some other Bush villian will destroy what you have accumulated over the years? Your memories, your pictures, your happy life, brought to an end by some crazy man from the Middle East..... And so, better to torture and kill a few too many just to be on the safe side? You know, not think so much about what we are doing to the lives of those that are innocent, the vast majority held so far by US authorities? After all, it's about our safety, right? Sure you can't go outside in Baghdad without risking your life. But that is the price Iraqis must pay to keep us safe.

It was a nice post, LurkerMom, really. Perhaps I should have just left it at that. But it just drives me crazy that so many decent folks like yourself continue to support current US policy.

--JC
Joe...

While I'm opposite of you on politics...I will admit I enjoy some of your posts and find them nothing less than well written and able to make a fine argument.

That being said, I'm puzzled how you feel Bush has taken the potential of a good life away from people.

Speaking only for me: Bush, Clinton, Gorbachev, Howard Dean, or any ONE of these jokers can get elected...and they have NOTHING to do with me or my personal family life.

I can't believe that Liberals feel that gov't doles out happiness also.

Life was wonderful under Clinton. Even better under Bush.

Knock on wood and thank my luck.

Jedi
That being said, I'm puzzled how you feel Bush has taken the potential of a good life away from people.

Speaking only for me: Bush, Clinton, Gorbachev, Howard Dean, or any ONE of these jokers can get elected...and they have NOTHING to do with me or my personal family life.

US Presidents have little influence on our happiness. I agree completely. But this is not the case for the thousands of foreigners who have been captured (usually by Pakistani security forces for a nice fee) and held in US run prisons around the world. Many of whom have been accused of no crime, held without proper legal representation, unable to communicate with their wives or children for years, etc. It is outrageous. It is these people - many of whom are completely innocent of any crimes - and none of whom have been convincted of anything, that I am referring.

Imagine, Jedi, that you are travelling in a foreign country with your family. You are mistaken for a member of a terrorist organization. While out alone, security forces bundle you in a car, drug you, blindfold you, and take you to another country. Your family knows only that you have been accused of terrorism. They aren't allowed to speak with you, you have no legal recourse, etc. You are subjected to regular beatings that do not cause organ failure, hence are not torture according to your captors. Lights are on constantly. Loud music is played at night. You are stripped naked and held in freezing cold cells. And you have no hope of a trial, much less eventual release. You refuse to eat in protest, and they strap you down and force a tube down your nose, a very painful process that was used by the Soviets. But they need to keep you alive to avoid any embarrassment. What is your family going through? Your children? What is your psychological state?

Sure, there are some real terrorists around you in prison, also held in captivity. But a lot of innocent people, too. You're in the latter group. Not that it matters to anyone.

--JC
It's a conundrum worthy of study under a government grant: How do pleasant and privileged lives produce the grasping, frightened and bloodthirsty reactionaries of the radical American right?

Simbob
LM:

Thanks for sharing. This board has become a toxic waste dump of empty opinions and I'd much rather we keep it real sometimes.

Sometimes I bitch to my wife that if she had her way, the whole house would look like the refrigerator door, that is to say, would be plastered with photos of grandchildren and siblings and old friends.

But guess what? You just can't have too many pictures. I have very few from my work days and I wish I had more. Well, there are photos of the annual fishing trip with guys from the office and a couple of retirement pictures, but not nearly enough.

When my father died, my sister went through every photograph the family had and put together two scrap books for me which I will treasure forever.

It's like Paul Simon said:

Time it was and what a time it was

It was....

A time of innocence, a time of confidences

Long ago, it must be

I have a photograph

Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you

Very nice post, LurkerMom. I'm glad to read you have lead a very full life. And here's to many more years of hope and happiness.

Thank you, Joe. I appreciate it and I appreciate your sincerely and civility.

How can such a nice person as yourself continue to support the documented outrages Bush is commiting in your name?? Is it fear, LurkerMom?

Fear? Fear of what? I live with optimism. People say, live for today, make it your best, it might be your last. I don't live for today, I live for tomorrow. I don't agree with everything Bush does and to the contrary as many think, I am not a Republican.
I live with the hope tomorrow will be even better than today, that in the generations to come there will be democracy in the mid-east.. And it is true; the media does not report the good that is coming out of Iraq. I make it a point to attend town hall meetings and wherever I can, where returning soldiers from Iraq and the other countries involved to hear what they have to say and question them. People turn around and look at me for having the nerve to ask pertinent questions. I don't go there to be entertained, but to find out the truth and to thank these soldiers. Never, not once when taken off to the side to speak with these returning heroes did I detect any bitterness, anger or even hint the war is a mistake. These are some of the people I look to for answers. Many of the men in my family have served during war time. Currently, there are four, two who are brothers and West Point graduates and both have served in the mid-east. I was not privileged to know exactly where because of their mission. Family gatherings when they were home on leave, and a distance to travel, did not stop me from going. I love these boys, and one being a girl, I should say men and women, that is what they really are now told me things of what is going on that many will not hear.

We are privileged to be a very long time friend of an Air Force Cornel who actually served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. He is now in his eighties and to meet him you would thing he was twenty years younger. He resides in Alexandra VA with his wife. He makes it a point to visit Walter Reed Hospital several times a month. He was in Wisconsin earlier this year and we spent many hours talking with him. The stories he told would bring even you to a few tears, but the pride he showed talking about the soldiers he visited and their pride in what they feel they had accomplished was overwhelming.

Yes, there are many of our soldiers who have died, and come home crippled. I understand their sacrifice. Some families are angry and some soldiers are bitter. I can't deny their right to be angry or bitter. I can't deny their right to see the war with a different pov.

I am not convinced the seed of democracy that has been planted in the mid east will not grow. That seed has been planted, and if it doesn't grow I will blame the 'ne'er sayers.' Think of what a difference it would make if the Democrats in DC pulled together to back our President and our Soldiers instead of undermining both. They instead spend their time creating one stupid scandal after another, such as the unfortunate Cheney accident with their eye on the WH, instead of what actually needs to be done. I could go on, but you get the point.

Yes, I know, you picture me with my rose colored glasses on, but it is far from the case.
I live with the strife of today that it will bring a better tomorrow for future generations to live in peace.
LurkerMom,

Oh my God,.....You are human!

Thanks for sharing the memories ;-)
Thanks for sharing. This board has become a toxic waste dump of empty opinions and I'd much rather we keep it real sometimes.

Thanks RT. I was going to post it eslewhere, but thought no, I consider the PA my 'home board' and hope it wouldn't get too many flaming remarks as many of my posts do.

Some of the pictures were long forgotten. They were in the boxes for years and what treasures I found such as the scrap books you now have of your dad.

It's like Paul Simon said:

Time it was and what a time it was

It was....

A time of innocence, a time of confidences

Long ago, it must be

I have a photograph

Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you

A while back I did go through a box of letters which belonged to my mother. Now those were some tearjerkers. Many were written during WWII, some of the letters written by my grandmother of her heart breaking of losing her 'youngest boy' in the war and kid brother to my mother. There were other letters from Aunts telling of their loss of family in the war. I sorted these letters out and gave them to my cousins. They were overwhelmed reading these letters their mothers wrote to mine. They didn't know they existed. One cousin, the father of the two brothers I just spoke of in my last post and now serving, broke down and cried reading the letters his mother wrote and her sorrow of the news his Uncle (from his mothers side) was killed.

There was a treasure chest of family history in that box of letters.

LurkerMom,

Oh my God,.....You are human!

Thanks for sharing the memories ;-)

lol...Thanks DonQijote. I must confess though, the reason I always wear a hat is to cover my horns. ;)
No. of Recommendations: 4
Ok, fair enough LurkerMom. It's clear you are interested in issues, and I really admire that. And I respect you for posting here. Many would stay in more friendly environments. So again, hat's off to you.

But I hope you seek out alternative sources for your views on what is happening in Iraq. It's good you talk to returning soldiers, but that is only one source. I'm also surprised that, in your words, Never, not once when taken off to the side to speak with these returning heroes did I detect any bitterness, anger or even hint the war is a mistake..

Polls of soldiers currently in Iraq paint a completely different picture. Most favor withdrawal. And while this is not admitting the venture was a mistake, it's a clear signal of how they view the current mess.

You wrote the following: I am not convinced the seed of democracy that has been planted in the mid east will not grow. That seed has been planted, and if it doesn't grow I will blame the 'ne'er sayers.' Think of what a difference it would make if the Democrats in DC pulled together to back our President and our Soldiers instead of undermining both.

What are you talking about? How have Democrats in DC hurt our war effort? How have they not "backed our Soldiers"???? Please give me specific examples. And I certainly hope you are not calling for elected representatives, Democrats or Republicans, to always accept what Bush is doing is right and not criticize? We are Americans, after all, and last time I checked we were free to say what we like. I am surprised of how muted the criticism really is from Democrats, given the fact that the war in Iraq is a complete disaster.

That you plan to blame this all on "Democrats in DC" is outrageous, and completely at odds with the facts. I urge you to step back and rethink how we got where we are today, and who is ultimately responsible.

And this may sound harsh, but I blame people who have blindly supported our president in his mistaken adventures almost as much as I blame Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld for this mess. And to this list I would add a host of Democrats, too. Everyone is so frightened of being labeled anti-American, or of being told they "don't support our troops" that they have watched silently as we squander away American and Iraqi lives in a failed venture. What if more Americans had said "enough"?? What if more Democrats had demanded a true accountability for what has happened, and continues to happen every day? Why aren't more Senators calling for Rumsfeld's head for this debacle? Because they are cowards, that's why.

It is a true March of Folly, and we will live with the repercussions for years, if not decades. My only hope now is that our army does not get caught in a full fledged civil war. Or that Iran, Syria, Jordan, and other countries don't get pulled into the fighting. I doubt we are even planning for these contingencies, just like we failed to plan for so many other things that were never supposed to happen.

You can blame Democrats if you like, LurkerMom, but I think it's time hard core Bush supporters like yourself embrace that personal responsibility you are always lecturing others about. We are all implicated in this mess, now. Look for a huge increase in terrorism, as the sons of the tortured and murdered seek their revenge.

--JC
I have a picture of some distant relative who was a model...

...in 1890 or something. She's sitting in a little boat dresses up in a long dress and a huge hat. The boat had a little outboard motor that had to be one of the first one's ever made. She was a model in an outboard motor ad.

I have another one of my gradfather on his sailboat. When he was young, before he married, he and a bunch of guys he knew somehow got a large sailboat and went all over Lake Michigan. This boat was wood and the spars were the size of my leg. They were shipwrecked once and almost died

I have a picture of my father's uncle in a WWI doughboy uniform sitting on the front porch with my dad who was maybe two years old. There's one's of my mother as a teenager.

But my favorite one is my dad in a plaid flannel shirt sitting in the cab of a huge diesel locomotive with my older sister in the engineer's seat. My sister looks to be about three. My dad was no doubt down at the plant. He worked for Electromotive Division of GM for a number of years. He used to go in to his office at the warehouse every Saturday morning and he'd take the kids with him. I used to play with his intercom and snitch his office supplies.
I have a picture of some distant relative who was a model...

...in 1890 or something. She's sitting in a little boat dresses up in a long dress and a huge hat. The boat had a little outboard motor that had to be one of the first one's ever made. She was a model in an outboard motor ad.

I have another one of my gradfather on his sailboat. When he was young, before he married, he and a bunch of guys he knew somehow got a large sailboat and went all over Lake Michigan. This boat was wood and the spars were the size of my leg. They were shipwrecked once and almost died

Isn't is so neat looking at some of the old family pictures and knowing of the stories behind them? In my grandparent's box of pictures I took to Norway, there was one who I thought was my great grandmother. As it turned out it was her sister. It was of a young age maybe around 30, and she was very pretty wearing her Native Norwegian dress. What was uncanny is one of my cousins is the spitin' image of her...really!
Looking at some of your pictures do you see family resemblance of some in the younger generations?

I have a picture of my father's uncle in a WWI doughboy uniform sitting on the front porch with my dad who was maybe two years old. There's one's of my mother as a teenager.

There were a lot of pictures of family and family friends in uniform from WWII. As you know my folks were from farm families and lived in the flatlands of Illinois. Every male child over 17 either joined up or were drafted it seem. Everyone was involved some way.

But my favorite one is my dad in a plaid flannel shirt sitting in the cab of a huge diesel locomotive with my older sister in the engineer's seat. My sister looks to be about three. My dad was no doubt down at the plant. He worked for Electromotive Division of GM for a number of years. He used to go in to his office at the warehouse every Saturday morning and he'd take the kids with him. I used to play with his intercom and snitch his office supplies.

I can just picture your dad myself...and at the same time thinking of my dad. My dad was as slim and muscular at 80 as when he was a young man. Still had his wavy hair, but only it turned white. He was a hard worker all his life, never sitting still and always young at heart.

Funny isn't it....I mean here I am living a stone's throw from where you lived and grew up and you are or at least was living many years in my home town and right now I feel like your sitting in my living room with us talking about 'way back when' I must be getting soft. Can't do that on the PA Board. Better pinch myself and wake up, lol. ;)

Anyhow RT, with all politics aside, it really is a small world and if your ever back home in Wisconsin the welcome mat is out by the front door and your welcome to stop by and visit with my husband and me. I think that would be nice.

Yes Joe.

Some foreigners are treated unfairly.

BUT 3000 AMERICANS DIED ON PURPOSE IN 9-11.

But, I am in favor of exploring more sensitive ways to fight this problem, but only in Europe. I'd like to see them take the lead and see what happens 1st.

Jedi
I do this quite often, go through pictures, and try to sort them where each one of my kids has their own special pictures of themselves and then other albums that show events that transpired as a family and extended family.

Hi salongi....This is a job I put off for years now and I decided I had better start going though the pictures and as you, sort them and make some sense out of all. It's hard, In many cases there are no name etc written on the pictures and hard to track down. Two of my cousins, from each side of the family are kinda the family historians, labeling everything and tracking the family trees. So sometime soon, maybe this summer I will try and get together with them and hope they can figure at least some of them out.

It seem to be the fashion for families to dress in their Sunday best and pose so stiff looking with not a smile on any face. That was my mothers side of the family going to town to have their picture taken with a real photographer....but, my dads family, they too were dressed in their farm clothes and looked looking like pioneers.
Polls of soldiers currently in Iraq paint a completely different picture. Most favor withdrawal. And while this is not admitting the venture was a mistake, it's a clear signal of how they view the current mess.

Most? Of course most want to go home but most, as I hear it will come home when they decide their job is done. Re enlistment is good, and I know for a fact injured soldiers are working hard to overcome their disabilities, even with lost limbs to return to Iraq. That says a lot.

What are you talking about? How have Democrats in DC hurt our war effort? How have they not "backed our Soldiers"????

That's easy, Howard Dean, Sen Durbin, Sen Kennedy, Sen Kerry, and more. I'm not going to search for their quotes, you know what they said.

I like and listen to Laura Ingrahm. She was recently in Iraq. On her talk show she does segments where our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan call in and talk. Some of them are quite blunt as to what they say. Laura constantly asks this question as she did the troops while in Iraq, if what the politicians in DC say against the war and the troops hurt you. The gist of the answers I heard is, they don't like it and it does not help morale. They agree they will not let it interfere with what they must do, and yes, they want to go home, but not till their job is done.

You can blame Democrats if you like, LurkerMom, but I think it's time hard core Bush supporters like yourself embrace that personal responsibility you are always lecturing others about.

Where am I lecturing? About the only time I talk about politics is on this board and I am giving my opinion, I am not lecturing.

But I hope you seek out alternative sources for your views on what is happening in Iraq. It's good you talk to returning soldiers, but that is only one source.

Who has better answers than that of those who are there and know everything first hand?

A lot of the little dreses my grandmother's daughters wore, were made by her from flour sacks. They used to package flour in pretty calico cotton sacks and then they would take the material to sew clothes or sun bonnets. She saved all the scraps, every single piece and when she had tuberculosis and was bedridden she made a lot of quilt tops. My mother took all the quilt tops and finished quilting them by hand with tedious perfection.

My grandmother was a meticulous housekeeper, even back when they were poor She used to make me sun bonnets like you see on Little House on the Prarie and tell me to protect my skin. Now MD's tell you to where sunblock. See how dumb they were LM? :)

Grandma was a tiny little lady, although she got heavy when she got older. She used to make me feel important because I could reach things she couldn't. I wanted to be short like her, because it was cute.

lol, salongi, we have to be related somewhere way back in the family tree. Of course many on the board probably already think that.

Bonnets were always the thing to wear and I always put boy type bonnets on my babies when out doors. A child's scalp is so tender especially when some children still had little hair yet.

One of my grandmothers's died from TB, as well as one of her daughters. My middle name is after her.

My mom's mom cleaned over clean and my mother inherited the curse. I did too, but have finally learned not be as fussy as they were.
Both grandmothers and my mother were petite. Me? I am about 5/5, taller than they were.

Oh, how you do cheer me up so. :) Before I type more I must tell you I can't find my glasses and now that it is dark and I only have artificial light, God only knows how this will churn out.

We indeed have quite a bit in common. One of my grandmother's daughter also got TB. It was later and she lived in PA at that time instead of with us hicks, but she got better and had two kids.

There is a story behind the Aunt who died of TB. My dad was a twin, the youngest of 10/11 children. The first died soon after their arrival to America, being born in Germany. The rest of the kids were born in America. Anyhow, my grandmother died of TB when the twins were 2 years old. My grandfather was beside himself with her death, so I was told. Not only that he had the twins and the rest of the kids still at home to take care of and all the farm work to do. My grandfather put an ad in the Chicago newspaper advertising for a wife. I hear tell it was common in those days looking for a wife/husband to replace one who died because of family circumstances like my grandfather. A very lovely widow, my dad said she was, with two children of her own accepted the offer. Grandpa went to Chicago, they got married and he brought her home to the farm. That is when she found out about the twin babies and the rest of the kids. She said bye, I'm going back to Chicago, I can't take care of all these children and my own. Grandpa offered to put the twins up for adoption and she relented. The oldest daughter had been recently married and when she found out about it went and took the twins, made her father sign papers for her and her husband to legally adopt the twins. She just knew he would be back to fetch them as soon as they were old enough to work on the farm. I'm told he did and of course she refused. Dad's memory of growing up though, was a good one. Times were hard, the Depression came, his sister died of TB when dad and his brother were around 11/12 and his adopted father finished raising them. Dad had a great love for family. He said his brothers and sisters were always around visiting, they were on a farm just down the road, and he got along swell with his dad and step mother. I can remember in later years his step sister visiting.
I have some great pictures of dad growing up on the farm, pitchforks in hand, behind the plow with the plow horses, in later teen/early 20's dressed in his Sunday best strutting along with his brothers clowning around.

Anyhow, fast forward, when he married mom and us kids came along, I think his 'bringing up' had much to do with his dedication the family always came first. I can remember him saying those words many times.

Imperfect as it all was. Amen. That is who my husband is too in a nutshell.

And I'll second that 'Amem' My husband and I went through some hard times, suffered a loooong layoff. When things picked up again he actually worked two full time jobs to get us out of debt and back on feet. We and the baby made three had to move in with my folks. Dad insisted. Family came first. I packed two lunches for my husband and he would clean up at the first job and shave with an electric razor with cord attachment to the cigarette lighter on the way to his second job. When paydays came, he signed his checks and left them on the kitchen table for me. He did this for six months. Needless to say, my dad was proud of his 'son in law'
Yep. Great guys. We went through similar things. LM, you and hubby must come to visit.

Thanks salongi, Don't be surprise if we take you up on that some day. :) btw...are you still living out east or did you make a final move to Bush country? If you might have mentioned it on the board I missed it.
But I won't be gone long. Spring, she is a callin'. I got stuff to do. He can just get on a plane and come enjoy it with me. He's got another thing coming if he thinks he is going to drop dead of a heart attack. :)

Yep, spring is in the air. I see the signs, even though we still have 3/4 inches of snow on the ground...btw, that invite works both ways, just so you know. :)
Me: What are you talking about? How have Democrats in DC hurt our war effort? How have they not "backed our Soldiers"????

LurkerMom: That's easy, Howard Dean, Sen Durbin, Sen Kennedy, Sen Kerry, and more. I'm not going to search for their quotes, you know what they said.

Let the record show the witness refused to answer the question.

--JC

--JC

let the record show that the author of the aforementioned statement let his bias interfere with his ability to make a rational evaluation/analysis of the comment that led to his response.

Teacher, teacher! (Hand up in air, wiggling in seat). "I know, I know."

um, you are forgetting? These actions some we see as hurting our countrys efforts and potentially endangering our military members are PRAISED by many here.

to them, they aren't harmful actions, they are acts of "courage" by the ones they support...

so its no surprise your point is not "gotten", its no surprise the prior respondant didn't have his/her hand up in the air going, "I got it, I know"..

wonder how many here had history/Social Science/Civics teachers in the mold of churchhill and bennish?? oops, my bad, forget about the GEOPGRAPHY teachers..

--JC

lol...JC. I didn't know I was on trial. Silly me, thinking we had a civil discussion going on and all your motive was to trap me. Oh well, nothing new with the Left and their skew.
lol...JC. I didn't know I was on trial. Silly me, thinking we had a civil discussion going on and all your motive was to trap me. Oh well, nothing new with the Left and their skew.

No, it's just that you accused prominent Democrats of not supporting our troops (you mentioned them by name), then refused to offer any proof. Surely in the age of the internet you can dig up one link? Surely? Or would that expose your charges to the light of reason?

--JC
No, it's just that you accused prominent Democrats of not supporting our troops (you mentioned them by name), then refused to offer any proof. Surely in the age of the internet you can dig up one link? Surely? Or would that expose your charges to the light of reason?

--JC

You know exactly what these Dems said and I am not going to waste my time digging up their quotes and how they hurt our troops.

Do your own homework and stop bothering me with your nonsense to make something out of it.
You know exactly what these Dems said and I am not going to waste my time digging up their quotes and how they hurt our troops.

Do your own homework and stop bothering me with your nonsense to make something out of it.

I don't know what "these Dems" said, because they didn't say anything. That's my point. And you don't know what they said, either.

Perhaps you heard some of the usual suspects (Rush? O'Reilly?) making the same claims you are. But alas, you can't back it up with any proof. That's why you refuse to provide a link.

Better to admit you have nothing than to attack me.

--JC