Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 117
Cisco stretched himself up on his hind legs and peeped over the edge of a large mushroom. His eyes immediately met those of a large, balding caterpillar, that was sitting on the top, arms folded, wearing a wrinkled suit and dark-framed glasses. It sat quietly smoking a long hookah, mumbling curious words and taking not the smallest notice of Cisco or anything else.

“Consumer confidence has eroded,” the caterpillar said. The words, formed in smoke, appeared above it as it spoke, then gradually dissipated and vanished.

Cisco lowed his front legs, walked back a few steps and sat down to listen and watch.

“Close scrutiny in the period ahead. Steep falloff in recent months. No recession,” continued the caterpillar.

“My master says that we are “already” in a recession, “ interrupted the dog.

The caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth and addressed Cisco in a languid, sleepy voice.
“Irrational exuberance. Obvious protuberance,” it said.

“He says that consumers are not buying anything,” the dog said in reply.

“Risks continue skewed toward the economy's remaining on a path inconsistent with satisfactory economic performance,” said the caterpillar in its best “Greenspanish.”

“Will interest rates be lowered soon? asked the dog.

“Scheduled meeting. Actions needing,” replied the caterpillar.

“Sir, I do not understand the meaning of your words. With respect,” inquired Cisco, “what are you smoking in that hookah?”

The caterpillar smiled the smallest smile and said: “It is good that you do not understand the
meaning of my words. For if you thought that you did, you would be mistaken.”

In a moment or two the caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, yawned once or twice and shook itself. Then it got down off the mushroom and crawled away into the grass.

Cisco thought for a moment as he scratched his ribcage a few times with a rear paw. He then stood up, walked over and stood next to the mushroom, lifted a hind leg, and relieved himself upon it.

Buck
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Marvelous post Buckwheat3. Simply marvelous.

I especially enjoyed this part:

“It is good that you do not understand the
meaning of my words. For if you thought that you did, you would be mistaken.”

As usual, staying tuned for the next OT by Buckwheat3.

slyce

No. of Recommendations: 2
Buckwheat,

Can I help you find an publisher? Serious? (I am NOT an agent....)

Your stuff is just TOO good. You are seriously a good writer.

Etherdude
Thank you for the compliment. Writing is a relatively new thing for me, but I feel that there is steady improvement. Thank God for spell-check though!

Regarding the publisher: Someday, I hope.

David
No. of Recommendations: 0
I loved it, even better after todays testimony!!!
No. of Recommendations: 0
OK! Buckwheat, you've deservedly made the big time. You have been published! I just pulled up the latest scoop from the Fool and there was your magic from yesterday! Congratulations!

Let me know when the money starts coming in.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I loved the Cisco piece- freshest thing to happen today. Sort of 'Lewis Carroll meets Maharishi Maheash Yogi'. Have you considered writing a strip?
-Vallegal1010
Buck:

This was definitely the smile of the week. Very funny and very clever.

What happens (happened?) when Cisco runs across the vanishing Cheshire economy?

Chris
This is a very unprofessional write-up and wasting and clutter the e-space.
No. of Recommendations: 5
This is a very unprofessional write-up and wasting and clutter the e-space

Yes it was, assuming that you were speaking for your own post - Ploink!
No. of Recommendations: 7
This is a very unprofessional write-up and wasting and clutter the e-space.

inkii,

I am so proud and flattered that you would address your first and only post towards my humble offering!

Thanks so much! Keep reading and learning.

Your pal, Bucksnort
No. of Recommendations: 10
>This is a very unprofessional write-up and wasting and clutter the e-space. (inkii)

BS (or "excuse me, but I beg to differ")

Posts like Buckwheat's are the nearest thing we've got to editorial cartoons on these boards. It was beautifully written and conjured up an immediate picture in my head. Like other high quality editorial cartoons it managed to convey a pastiche of ideas in a compact, amusing package.

(BTW - I don't have to agree with a cartoon to enjoy it.)
No. of Recommendations: 3
Posts like Buckwheat's are the nearest thing we've got to editorial cartoons on these boards. It was beautifully written and conjured up an immediate picture in my head. Like other high quality editorial cartoons it managed to convey a pastiche of ideas in a compact, amusing package.

Thanks Martin!
Regarding inkii: I know that I cannot please everyone. I have tried to adopt as my new motto: NOBODY LIKES YOU ANYWAY. It is a very liberating thought.
Editorial cartoon....? Hmmm..I like that!
Buck
No. of Recommendations: 4
Regarding inkii: I know that I cannot please everyone. Buckwheat3

Here's a little story portraying that belief:

An old man, a boy and a donkey were going to town. The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked.

As they went along they passed some people who remarked that it was a shame the old man was walking while the boy was riding. The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.

Later they passed some people who remarked, what a shame! He makes that little boy walk." They decided they both would walk!

Soon they passed some more people who thought they were stupid to walk when they had a decent donkey to ride. So they both rode the donkey!

Now they passed some people who shamed them by saying, "how awful to put such a load on a poor donkey!"

The boy and man said they were probably right, so they decided to carry the donkey.

As they crossed a bridge, they lost their grip on the animal, and he fell into the river and drowned.

The moral of the story?

If you try to please everyone, you will eventually lose your ass.

Now to be fair to inkii: In case you're not aware, when a subject on a message board is prefaced with "OT" that stands for "Off Topic" and can easily be skipped over by those not wanting to spend time on OT material. Enough said.

slyce
Slyce,

Thanks for that timely story. I needed the pick me up after a long day of dealing with the people next to the road.

Thanks,
Whut