No. of Recommendations: 0
from GusSmed's post...

... In many ways this is a critical time to be discussing what works and what does not in early retirement, since this looks like it may very well be a "worst case scenario" akin to 1929 or 1973 for people who retired in 2007 or 2008.

I've thought the same thing.

More specifically, IIRC, the 'when to retire, and how big a nest egg, and SWR' studies suggest that retiring immediately prior to an economic decline can be problematic...

But, those same studies suggest that retiring during a decline, and/or during the recovery can have a positive effect.

Do you have any comments as to moves to make at this point in the economic cycle?

Personally, I've been stockpiling cash, and plan to at least dip into the pool soon. I'm most familiar with biotech and tech stocks. Recently, I've been looking at Dividend plays and may broaden my portfolio to include some of those. I'm looking at dividend plays for the cash they throw off on a regular basis :-)

I've looked around at real estate in the Central Tx area (Nth Austin, Round Rock, Georgetown, Hutto areas). Prices are still 'high' IMO. But I've not talked to a real estate broker about foreclosures, repos, etc. I may even do that toward the end of the summer and into the fall.

Anyone care to discuss retirement and steps to take now? How about the effects of retiring now, the nest-egg needed, and the SWR?

I'm comfortable with 4% SWR as a rule of thumb, periodic State of the Retirement reviews and adjustments, etc. :-)

ralph :-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.