No. of Recommendations: 2
Times like this I wish TMF's DID have a 'you've got photos' available to them....
as a different thing in my life, I am-for the 1st time ever-growing a beard! I have a very boyish face-I'm 31 and still get carded for cigs. My mom for some reason wanted me to shave off my 'work in progress', whining, 'You look so ENGLISH w/o it!' I said. 'OK> Find me an English woman who calls a car trunk a 'bonnett' and I'll shave it off.....'

My .02-

criscarson-
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't get it...

Is looking "English" good?

No. of Recommendations: 6
and still get carded for cigs.

Warning, personal opinion intruding on private life.

STOP SMOKING

You would not believe what a PITA chemotherapy is.

Nancy
speaking literally
Cris, I would consider a delay in aging good news no matter what. At age 41, I'm finally beginning to look my age, and that's no fun, LOL. (Oh, how fun it would be to be carded again. Well, I don't smoke and rarely drink, but still... lol.)

Doc
No. of Recommendations: 1
And if I may add..

That radiation treatments or as the former houseman put it:

"They cook you like in a microwave.."

It's no freakin bargain either. He is still discolored 2 years post nuked.

wild :)
<Warning, personal opinion intruding on private life.

STOP SMOKING>

Well, in the abscence of a partner to come home to, or great sex-not neccesarily a package deal-I need something to 'keep me going' If I sound like an addict, OK. But we're all addicted to something.
-criscarson-

My adopted mom calls the car trunk the boot, I think the bonnet is the front.

But she's taken.
That radiation treatments or as the former houseman put it:

"They cook you like in a microwave.."

It's no freakin bargain either. He is still discolored 2 years post nuked.

Gee, it's only been eight months for me, and I'm nearly back to normal.

But I'll never again be able to tan.

Nancy
He always stayed bright red. Half of his neck and shoulder to highlight the dissection site for the oral ca. Another one who smoked. Sigh.

wishes EVERYONE would quit.
He always stayed bright red. Half of his neck and shoulder to highlight the dissection site for the oral ca.

Yeew.

Mine was a strip down the middle of the chest to catch the lymph nodes.

Nancy
Nancy is right.
Just think how much faster debt reduction would go without paying for something that damages your health.
To break the addiction to nicotine is probably more difficult even than to break the addition to credit cards. A lot of the same people seem to have both problems, so you might as well work on both.
You are setting a date for being debt-free, using the snowball and the calculator? Good! Set a quit date. On the quit date you treat yourself to some things you've been wanting, and to a nice dinner. You sit in the no-smoking section and marvel at how great to food tastes. You buy the things for yourself with the money you will no longer spend on something that destroys your health.

In preparation, for one week you carry around a little jar. It starts out full of clean fresh water. You put all your butts into it. At the end of the week you look at it and smell it. You are putting THAT into your mouth and your lungs? YEECH!!!!
Best wishes, Chris
No. of Recommendations: 3
criscarson writes (regarding smoking):
Well, in the abscence of a partner to come home to, or great sex-not neccesarily a package deal-I need something to 'keep me going' If I
sound like an addict, OK. But we're all addicted to something.
-criscarson-

I think that I understand where you're coming from, but consider that
there is a vast assortment of addictions available for you to choose
from. Perhaps a more benign one like, say, watching excessive amounts of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, collecting back issues of The Amazing Spider-Man, or exploring European death metal (to name just a few possibilities) would be better than one which has a decent chance of killing you in an unpleasant way.

Vince
Or Dr Jerry Springer daily and Dr Phil on Tuesdays! Yesterday's show had 4 who looked like the parachute failed and they all lived in the same trailer park. Not one sharp tack in the box. I cried with laughter.

loves her Dr.Jerry fix. MUCH better than those smokes.
Or Dr Jerry Springer daily and Dr Phil on Tuesdays! Yesterday's show had 4 who looked like the parachute failed and they all lived in the same trailer park. Not one sharp tack in the box. I cried with laughter.

loves her Dr.Jerry fix. MUCH better than those smokes.

Dr. Phil's son was on Rosie today. He's a cutie! :o) And not as scary as his daddy!

Oh, how fun it would be to be carded again. Well, I don't smoke and rarely drink, but still... lol.)

One time at the grocery store, the third person ahead of me got carded for using food stamps. Next person had to show id for writing a check. The person in front of me got carded for purchasing beer. When I showed up and read in my cards, I told the cashier that I felt left out for not being carded. 8)

--Mark
Who hasn't purchased anything worth carding since 1902.
'OK> Find me an English woman who calls a car trunk a 'bonnett' and I'll shave it off.....'

<trivia>
The HOOD of the car is called the "bonnet". The trunk is the "BOOT".

d
</trivia>
Chris:

Good start on remaking your image...keeps the costs of razor blades down; saves time in the morning; keeps you warmer in the winter; saves on camo paint; and the babes love it...well the last is a lie (happily married for the past 40 years).

I've worn a beard for the better part of 25 years and wouldn't change it for the world...part of the package.

Now back under my rock

Spence, who hasn't been carded for 40 years
I said. 'OK, Find me an English woman who calls a car trunk a 'bonnett' and I'll shave it off.....'
LOL! Good for you! I'm sure you love your mother very much, but it is more important that you do what makes you happy. Unless you are deliberately trying to attract women similar to your mother, don't ever feel obligated to listen to her opinions on your appearance. =)

- Kilbia
No. of Recommendations: 3
<LOL! Good for you! I'm sure you love your mother very much, but it is more important that you do what makes you happy. Unless you are deliberately trying to attract women similar to your mother, don't ever feel obligated to listen to her opinions on your appearance. =)>

Ewwwwwww!!!
You've obviously never seen my mother.....

-criscarson-

who's living testimony that beauty does not have to be inherited....

> Find me an English woman who calls a car trunk a 'bonnett'

criscarson,

I thought the Bonnet was the ' HOOD ' not the trunk?

Dan

wondering about things that don't make a damned bit of difference since 1902
My adopted mom calls the car trunk the boot, I think the bonnet is the front.

exeter17,

Thats what I was thinking.

dan

still piddling with useless info since 1902
I'd say, keep the beard.
Could assist in finding that partner.
also, note that grey hair usually shows up first there if you are interested in that.

joycets (married to mostly cleanshaven guy except when he's been home for most of a week running the tractor & fixin cars & he starts to look fuzzy).
I was carded for beer at a convenience store some time in my 30's. I know I had on overalls. In fact I tried those overalls on this New Years Day. I resembled a Navy Blue Sausage.

joycets - no longer carded.
CC - can i just share this -

I know it is a daunting prospect to think of quitting smoking, but it can be done - there is lots of help out there. try silkquit.com or quitnet.org

jak

Eight months, three weeks, six days, 22 hours, 51 minutes and 56 seconds. 2699 cigarettes not smoked, saving $472.42. Life saved: 1 week, 2 days, 8 hours, 55 minutes.

I took my "savings" and have been diverting into and ING account!!!!!!
I got carded at the parking garage at school (3 bucks for the evening WITH student ID.) But I'm not taking any classes next time. So unless I go on for my 4 year degree I guess I gotta wait until they card me for senior citizen discounts...

- karen
><Warning, personal opinion intruding on private life.
>STOP SMOKING>
Amen to that. Smoking is very, very bad. My family just had a dear friend die from lung cancer, nasty, nasty way to go. She had (the one who died) had 2 grandchildren, the oldest of whom was only 10. She will never get to see them growup.

>Well, in the abscence of a partner to come home to, or great sex-
>not neccesarily a package deal-I need something to 'keep me
>going' If I sound like an addict, OK. But we're all addicted to
>something.
Yeah, but in your case your addiction will KILL you. You WILL die probably a very painful and needless death. Do you enjoy having your hair fall out? Your mom worries about you looking English by growing a beard. You'll be lucky if you have ANY hair left after chemotherapy.
Do you enjoy throwing up? Try chemotherapy.
And speaking of your mom? Why would you want to put her through burying her child. It's terrible when a parent has to bury their child.
I have watched many, many friends and co-workers die from smoking caused cancer. I would not wish that fate on my worse enemy. It has scared me away from EVER touching a cigarette.
BTW, my addiction (Caffeine from Dr. Pepper) will probably not kill me. Switch addictions if need be. Just find something else besides smoking.

Ooooh, didn't mean to get on my soapbox like that.

Topaz12
yea but it should please his mother by making the beard fall out

herb
No. of Recommendations: 8
<Warning, personal opinion intruding on private life.

STOP SMOKING>

<Well, in the abscence of a partner to come home to, or great sex-not neccesarily a package deal-I need something to 'keep me going' If I sound like an addict, OK. But we're all addicted to something.
-criscarson>

As an update to an update.....
I'm trying 1nce again to kick Marlboro's cold turkey.

Last smoke was last Thursday night
Everyone keep their fingers crossed for me!

-criscarson-
As an update to an update.....
I'm trying 1nce again to kick Marlboro's cold turkey.

Last smoke was last Thursday night
Everyone keep their fingers crossed for me!

Way to go, criscarson!

Congratulations, and keep up the good work! You can do it!

Cassandra
fingers crossed
Good luck, criscarson! We're all pulling for you!

--Booa
Good Luck. You and my DH both. EH is not going cold turkey but I KNOW he has smoked less lately and I hope (fingers crossed) he eventually gets down to ZERO.

Mangard
No. of Recommendations: 5
Update:

Tomorrow will be 1 week w/o a smoke.
Now if I can just kick these nasty co-workers of mine as well........:-)

-criscarson-
Congratulations! Keep of the good work.

Are you getting support from TMF Quit Smoking board?

CristyneS
Tried 2 times to quit with no success so I'm jealous!
Tomorrow will be 1 week w/o a smoke.
Now if I can just kick these nasty co-workers of mine as well........:-)

Wahoo!

Way to go criscarson!

If my grandparents can BOTH quit smoking cold turkey after 40+ years, you can do it, too!

Cassandra
<Congratulations! Keep of the good work.

Are you getting support from TMF Quit Smoking board?

CristyneS
Tried 2 times to quit with no success so I'm jealous! >

No, a catalyst was that I started feeling heart pains. Scared me to death,no pun intended. Also, I'm starting to become friends with a (lady) n/s; also, no one ever died from not smoking....

-criscarson-
who's counting down-22 hours till 1 week...