Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 60
My subscription runs out this week and I've decided not to renew. I didn't want to leave without poking my head in and thanking you all for the support and advice as we've paid off our credit cards and started saving for some big goals. I don't think I would have had the motivation to see that through without being accountable to the Fools.

We are still 100% credit card debt free, other than monthly expenses. We are steadily paying down the car loans at their regular schedule. We are saving a remarkable amount of money now that we don't have debt. DH is still deployed, so we've increased our spending a little to give me a break with some of the housework/ yardwork and to give him a chance to buy some fun stuff to pass the time. Overall we've gotten a good balance between spending and saving.

Keep those snowballs rolling,
mm
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi,
Sorry to see yo go.... I for one liked what you had to say on this board. And I think/know you helped some of the folks here. I'd hope you could find a way to stick around. To bad TMF couldn't find a way to support the "very useful" posters amungust us.
L8R, Jim D.
No. of Recommendations: 0
mastiffmama,

I'm sorry to see you leave, and I hope you'll return at some point in the future.

I hope DH returns safe, well, and in one piece.

We'll miss you.

Nancy
MM -

I've also enjoyed your posts, and hope you might change your mind.

Will miss you,

MadamHusker 1
I am very sad to see you go. I think you're very helpful and nice to have around. Perhaps you will be back someday?

I wish you well in all your endeavors.

--Booa
>>
Too bad TMF couldn't find a way to support the "very useful" posters amongst us.
>>

(Forgive me the edit. Once an English teacher...)

To my understanding TMF does have a system where they award free subscriptions to folks, chosen partially on the basis of merit, with the general eye towards maintaining the quality of discussion on the forums. Don't ask me what you have to do to get it -- I was awarded with a free year, which rules out "Be really useful" as a possible qualifying reason.

Best of luck to you, Mastiffmama. Regards to Mastiffpapa when he gets back. I've got a snowball with your name on it. Hmm, that would sound rather different to someone who wasn't a Fool...
TMF does have a system where they award free subscriptions to folks, chosen partially on the basis of merit...

Where merit is probably defined as "posts messages which turn into long threads with lots of posts by other Fools."

After all, boards subscribers come here for content. Those of us who post create the content that drives demand. If I start a threat that results in 100 replies, then I get credit for creating all that content.

I'd like to think that one's "Recs/Posts Ratio" plays a role, but since the system is secret, who knows?
Hi,
I would like to suggest that TMF publicize a way for us lurkers to nominate posters for "free fool time"..... Some of the boards are IMHO much more useful than others and this board does more good for people to improve themselves and others than most and I think those that post here regularily should be rewarded. After all, one of tenents of TMF is to educate so give the educaters some slack.

English may be my only language but that doesn't mean I'm proficient at it..... so feel free to edit away.... Spelling ain't wonderful either.

L8R, Jim D.
Thank you all for your kind words here and by email. I'll be sticking around another year, but possibly not so much as in the past. I'm trying to find a good balance between internet time, work time, and the rest of my life. :)

mm
I would like to suggest that TMF publicize a way for us lurkers to nominate posters for "free fool time".

How about setting up a system to allow us to donate time to other users?

I bought a 3-year subscription, and I've since been comp'ed another year. Wouldn't it be nice if I could give some of my subscription to another user?

Better still, create a market that allows users to buy and sell time. Users who want to leave early could sell their remaining time to others.

Or doesn't the Fool believe in free-markets?
"TMF does have a system where they award free subscriptions to folks, chosen partially on the basis of merit...

Where merit is probably defined as "posts messages which turn into long threads with lots of posts by other Fools.""

This can't be the only criteria, because I got a free year when my subscription was up and I think I've only posted 3 or 4 times and the following threads were VERY short (1 or 3 replies at most).

Kind of like that FICO calculation, ain't it??

No. of Recommendations: 3
This is the recipe that i used to get spookysquid comp'ed for a year when his stay was about to expire.

I used the FA feature and wrote a note to tmftwitty/Richard and said that spooky had been a great addition to the community and could he look into a possible comp or something to that effect. I gave some reasons for consideration etc...

Good guy that he is, Richard did whatever research was necessary and before anyone could say "You're comped for a year!", spooky got a note saying he was comped for another year.

FWIW ~julie
Hi,
Does anyone know if recs are part of the formula to get posters additional TMF time? I for one don't rec on a reglar basis. Reasons: I read in threaded mode and recing drops me back into regular mode. Then there are the rec-hos who are just after the recs which delutes the whole concept. There needs to be some kind of "quality of post" figure factored in. I don't think a thread on Bar-B-Q is quite on a par as one on how to get your butt out of debt or buy a home, or take care of your 90+ year old parents..... Maybe all those folks that get nominated for the Feste Award should get a free ride, perhaps based on the number of votes received?????

Thanks to all those super posters on here....

L8R, Jim D.
Thanks for your help MM, sorry to see you go. Hope you come back soon.

Good luck!

bdgf06
*My snowball is still rolling...