Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10

Please indulge me as I reminisce about a beautiful, raven-haired, girl I first met 50 years ago. Our paths crossed briefly while in 5th grade and, to this pubescent young male, she had all the curves in all the right places. Our paths crossed infrequently through grade school, she attended a different school, and junior highschool. If the truth were known, she really couldn't stand me. Having her mother as school principal and my 6th grade teacher, didn't help my cause.
Life often turns on seemingly random events. I broke my glasses, and rather than walk around town blind, patched the broken lens with tape, using the good side to navigate. Our paths crossed in a local drug store and she inquired why I'd patched one eye.
Over a cherry coke I explained in eloquent words how I'd broke my glasses...well really, I stumbled around, mostly with foot in mouth, embarrassed that she's noticed my broken glasses. In my defense, however, I did ask her to attend a movie at the El Largo theater the following weekend.
I'm not sure what she saw in me, still don't, but later we began to date steadily – to the disappointment of her mother. And, as they say, the rest is history. We attended the same college for two years. She achieved A's; I did my best to flunk out. I took a vacation in the military and married this lovely, curvaceous woman. I won't bore you with 40 years of living, except to say it was interesting and well worth the price of admission.
The raven hair has silvered and the curves softened through the years and three kids, yet the beauty I first observed still shines and the fire still burns. Today, June 28, we celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, and each morning I thank God she asked about my broken glasses.

Back under my rock.

Spence
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.