Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Above is notorious small talk in the St. Louis area. Post Dispatch has letter to the editor responding to a recent complaint abt the practice.

High school question a great way to find things in common

I received a copy of Dan Dillon's wonderful book, "So, Where'd You Go to High School" as a retirement gift from the grandparents of a student in 2006. It has been greatly enjoyed by friends as well as by me.

Mr. Dillon is correct about making connections (letters, Dec. 8). Because that question was asked, I found out that I attend church with two people from McKinley, one from Southwest, one from Roosevelt, and with a classmate from Cleveland. And I met two people this month of whom I asked the question.

When the question is asked of me, I always say, "Cleveland." Then, I add that I lived in the Roosevelt district, which gives me access to more high school attendees. It is a really great way to find things in common with newly met people.

The only negative about the question is when sports-minded people say negative things about a high school's sports teams. And, being a boomer, I have to wonder whether they are remembering correctly; that was a long time ago.

Sharon Head • De Soto

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/mailbag/high-school-que...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.