Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
According to this report, Whitney seems to have dropped his bear TSLA thesis for a bullish view.

https://apple.news/A4h4QDBxhQvKulZAhIKM2Mw
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I lost count how many times he went short and then turned around. In fact, if Whitney shorts a good business, ignore his valuation thesis, just buy the company. The chances are you are going to make tons of money.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Seems like a decent guy and is a good writer. I think his track record of managing money is quite poor.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Tilson has been generally bearish and critical but he has always acknowledged that it would be a risky short because the company has many positive features, like making a great car that owners are excited about and that makes a positive contribution to reducing fossil fuel use.

dt
No. of Recommendations: 0
The guy supposedly manages OPM for a living.
" is a good writer ... track record of managing money is quite poor"

Huh???????????? What is that? PC need to "say something nice"????????
No. of Recommendations: 18
I tend to agree with yeahitsme. I don't know Whitney personally. I have seen some his public investing positions and know that he shut down his investment fund because of "sustained underperformance."

He greatly outperformed in the early 2000s, collected a bunch of capital and then had extreme underperformance. For whatever reason I had trouble finding a complete comparison of his returns over the life of the fund, but since most investor money came in after his outperformance, I think it is safe to say that he lost his investors a ton of money relative to the S&P 500. Mr. Tilson said the underperformance made him miserable, but I think that we should save our sympathy for his investors.

After failing in the hedge fund business, Mr. Tilson then started an investor education endeavor. It wasn't clear to me why he should be qualified to do so.

Mr. Tilson may be a wonderful person, but I don't know. I am of the opinion that a person is much more than their professional career or achievements and character, among other things, is much more important than career achievements. However, as a professional money manager, Mr. Tilson appears to be an abject failure. If I understand correctly, on average, it would have been much better for his investors if he spent his time at the pool and never opened up a fund. Despite the lack of contribution to his investor's bottom line, Mr. Tilson himself is wealthy. It happens.
I hate to say it.

The same can be said for those (including myself) that have put their trust in another wealthy investor within the last 15 years. Certainly not extreme, but also not insignificant.

http://performance.morningstar.com/stock/performance-return....

I know there are others on this board who invested in 1985 or 1995 that this does not apply to.
No. of Recommendations: 26
The same can be said for those (including myself) that have put their trust in another wealthy investor within the last 15 years

In the bigger scheme of things compounding at 9.3% if held for 15 years and being a hair behind the index - with no intermediate taxes paid - is not quite my description of a tragedy.

I don't think this compares to a typical Tilson investor's experience over the same period.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"I don't think this compares to a typical Tilson investor's experience over the same period."

Suspect Whitney paid himself more than Warren did.
yeah, both ppant & BHH are right. BRK did OK til WEB decided to neither buy stocks nor buyback many shares in 4q18. 4q18 was the beginning of "The Nap" & Mr Mkt knows it.

Plus,
a) with BRK, you get what you pay for
b) with BRK, you get basically what is advertised
c) with BRK, you can (& SHOULD) trade it
Well, I guess I missed something relatively by not watching cnbc. Twitney Wilson shut down his investment fund. Ok. So, I guess he should get credit for becoming a (good) writer.

There's that saying about "Those that can't". I don't remember if his under-performance means he actually Lost OPM over a period of time. Did he (like Einhorn)? Or did he just trail badly but put up at least 5% CAGR?
No. of Recommendations: 6
My experience with Whitney from an earlier post;

https://boards.fool.com/quotltlt-i39m-not-sure-if-anyone-els...

ciao