Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
More from the class I took....

I did not know the arrangement of the chapters of the Qur'an. I didn't know it was organized from largest chapters to smallest. That must make it difficult to follow.

The professor also talked about how the book does not translate well into English, and that in Arabic is how you get the true meanings of the words and lessons. I had heard this before. In listening to a podcast this morning, a woman explained how she did not fully appreciate the lessons of the Qur'an until she learned them in Arabic.

Thoughts?

Charlie
Print the post Back To Top
In listening to a podcast this morning, a woman explained how she did not fully appreciate the lessons of the Qur'an until she learned them in Arabic.

Thoughts?

Understanding the Arabic language of the Qur'ân might easily take 10 years.

Abe
No. of Recommendations: 1
Understanding the Arabic language of the Qur'ân might easily take 10 years.

In many cultures Muslims memorize the Holy Qur'an in Arabic but never learn the language, which makes no sense to me except to enjoy the lyrical poetry. I choose to understand.

The difficulty in translating the Book has played into the hands of both Muslim and anti-Muslim extremists, providing flexibility that they use as license.
When I taught Classical Arabic, I made a stunning experience: those Arab students who had not studied CA in their home countries were as much capable of understanding the Book as any average Catholic the Vulgata.

No joke.

Abe
Yeah I've heard that. Apparently your experience is typical.
Abe, how old are you? I'm guessing 40ish? you seem to have a lot of life experience.

silencer
Abe, how old are you? I'm guessing 40ish? you seem to have a lot of life experience.

silencer

yes, but he is not THAT way any longer. vegetarianism is so much more healthy.

Dov, Abe's pal

silencer

Mid-forties. Right in the middle of the famous midlife crisis (which, when I was young believed not to exist, but it really does).

As far as 'life experience' is concerned, I don't know what to say. I've been a rather untalented and unsuccessful professional musician for about seven years, been driving a cab for 15+ years, been a langauge teacher for - let's see - seven years, and now am sort of semi-retired. Went broke at least once (1989) and lost almost everything in the stock market between late 2000 and 2003.

Abe
Mid-forties. Right in the middle of the famous midlife crisis (which, when I was young believed not to exist, but it really does).
=====================================================================

Well I can only speak for me....44 and no mid-life crisis. Having a great mid-life.

Charlie
Oh, and for the record. I'm still alive. That's not too bad, after all. Wrote a book, too. Built a house. Planted a tree. God willing, some day I might even experience fatherhood.

Abe
Well I can only speak for me....44 and no mid-life crisis. Having a great mid-life.

Charlie

Congrats. You're some lucky guy, Charlie. Never unable to sleep, and thinking about more than half of your life gone for good, and lots of decisions that can't be undone anymore, all night long?

Abe
Oh, and for the record. I'm still alive. That's not too bad, after all. Wrote a book, too. Built a house. Planted a tree. God willing, some day I might even experience fatherhood.

Abe

Daddy Abe. That would be cool.

If you have a girl, you could name him Dove.

If a boy, Daniel ... or Ibe.

Dov

If it's a boy, Aníbal.

Abe
If it's a boy, Aníbal.

Abe

get busy .... time's a wasting
the famous midlife crisis (which, when I was young believed not to exist, but it really does).

I must have a long life ahead 'cause I don't think I've had it yet, and indeed hope not to. Now I grant you that someone (usually a middle-aged woman) accuses me of that re my wife and son, but I assure them I liked hot women when I was young too. Then someone will site my interest in fitness, but I was in every regard but strength more fit when I was twenty-five. I am unconvinced that there's something wrong with not becoming sedentary, weak, sickly, and slow when we pass 40, and for those who become so, where's the vice in reversing that retrograde action?

Male menopause my backside; now pass the growth hormone. Joking; I don't approve of those drugs.
thinking about more than half of your life gone

How long you going to live? All you really have is today; enjoy.

Our generation will no doubt see many more centenarians than our predecessors, the majority among those who take care of themselves. And it is well established that improving one's lifestyle at your age is very efficacious. If you ever want to try, Email me and I'll send you a link to my website, which has lots of other links.
If a boy, Daniel ...

Now don' you go 'en name no commie after my son, son.
40ish? you seem to have a lot of life experience.

silencer

I've got liver spots older than that.
Never unable to sleep, and thinking about more than half of your life gone for good, and lots of decisions that can't be undone anymore, all night long?
========================================================================

Past is past...can't change it. All I can do is focus on the future.

Charlie
Sorry for the delay in responding Charlie...somehow explorer was buggy and I did not see all the new posts until just now...

Yes, the Qur'an is best understood in Arabic, but for most of us, getting there is going a lifetime. But I think it is possible to get a lot out of the Qur'an by using translations, and also by having a teacher who understands the Arabic meanings. So while one cannot discount the value of learning Arabic, not having that knowledge will not necessarily hold one back from understanding Allah and understanding the Qur'an. There are actually quite a few good translations out there, and I often compare them when doing research.

The ayaat of the Qur'an can be interpreted in many ways, and there are also underlying mystical meanings not touched by many. That is something more on the Sufi side.

Also, the Qur'an is a book which is meant to be an oral tradition, and when recited, Arabic is really the only way to go. The sound and rythm of it does not translate at all...but that is a whole other matter.

You can read the Qur'an from the end to the beginning if you like. The last surahs are actually the first revealed, and the first chapters were some of the last. The end of the Qur'an deals mainly with the understanding of the Unity of God, whereas the beginning has much more content dealing with the details of the law (inheritance, marriage, divorce...and so on). The order is not chronological, but that is the basic framework.

So start at the end, with the short surahs. That is also where most Qur'an students begin. This is the best place to get an initial understanding of the early teachings of Islam.

Munira