Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay, so I got a pizza stone because I'm a big fan of pizza, and I absolutely LOVE it. My pizza turns out so much better now. (FYI - I got it at Crate & Barrel in case anyone else is thinking about getting one).

But, I'm wondering what other types of things I could cook on this. I'm definitely a beginner cook, but I'd like to use this new toy as a way to expand my cooking abilities.

Any suggestions/recipes that are great on pizza stones?

Thanks!
Cali_Ali
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Love my pizza stone! After you've used it a few times, it becomes "non-stick". Don't ever wash it with soap, and cook a few oily things on it for a while.

I use mine to bake cookies, for oven fries, almost anything I'd bake on a cookie sheet that doesn't need sides. And I leave it on the bottom shelf of the oven all the time, even when I'm not using it. I think it helps distribute the heat of the oven more evenly.

Have fun with it!

A

Bread
chocolate chip cookies!!!!
chocolate chip cookies!!!!

Do you really put cookie dough right on your pizza stone? You shouldn't. Unless you want tainted pizza, from your pizza stone.

bigpix
Any suggestions/recipes that are great on pizza stones?

Mine came with a stand, and I use it when there's something I want to keep warm at the table. Works like a charm.

Phil
Mine came with a stand, and I use it when there's something I want to keep warm at the table.

Couldn't you just use a trivet too (to hold the stone up)?

jez
<<Do you really put cookie dough right on your pizza stone? You shouldn't. Unless you want tainted pizza, from your pizza stone.

>>

huh? tainted? I cook everything on my pizza stone, even fish, no problems. I've had mine for about 6 years now. Don't believe the myths about not washing them or cooking anything but pizza. I put mine in the dishwasher and it never tastes funny, it's just fine. I don't know where that urban legend started.
No. of Recommendations: 3
You can use a sheet of parchment paper 'tween stone and your baked goods. In fact, an excellent brownie pizza can be made by spreading brownie batter on your stone ON PARCHMENT. Top with cream cheese whipped with whipped topping and fresh fruit (after baking). If you leave off the parchment, the brownie will run off the stone creating a huge mess...or so I hear<G>.

Teri
I can't believe you wash it. I wipe mine down when I remember to. Water getting into it will cause it to crack. Then again, I have had two crack on me and I never wet them. I use real cheapos that my MIL gets at flea markets.
As far as tainting goes, I guess that could be a myth too. Since my stone is primarily for pizza, it gets a fair amount of pizza goo baked into it. I guess my other foods could be pizza tainted but I don't use my stones for much more than pizza and reheating breads.

bigpix
<<I can't believe you wash it. I wipe mine down when I remember to. Water getting into it will cause it to crack.>>

6 years and counting...lol. I got mine from Pampered Chef...could that be the difference?
I've had mine for at least 6 years - a cheapie round one from an outlet mall. I have a rectangular Pampered Chef one, too, about 5 years old.

Both work great, are used almost every day, have no cracks, are washed under warm running water with a scrubbing brush after they have cooled some. I never wash it while it's hot right from the oven. I could imagine it cracking if washed with cold water while hot, for example.

A
Mine came with a stand, and I use it when there's something I want to keep warm at the table.

I don't know why not.

Phil
I use my pizza stone to bake corn tortillas for tostadas (actually I bake the tostadas on it too) and I cut up pita bread and bake it on there for crisps.

Cookies, rolls, really anything you would typically use a cookie sheet for.

Just remember it will soak up flavors. I have two, one for sweet, and one for savory.

(Don't want garlic flavored chocolate chip cookies)

The stand can be turned so you have handles that are easier to transport it from counter to table etc.
Water getting into it will cause it to crack.

Only if it is hot.

Let it cool completely, then rinse and wipe. Then let it dry completely before heating. (I set it out over night on a dish towel before it goes back into storage in the oven.)

Let it cool completely, then rinse and wipe. Then let it dry completely before heating.

I never even wipe mine down with a wet cloth. They seem to crack on their own in the hot oven. Like I said, they are thin cheapo units so no big deal. In fact I tend to use two in the oven when making pizza. The cracked one works fine. I make sure the two pieces a butt up to each other and place that one on the top rack. The newer one I place down low.

bigpix
<<Just remember it will soak up flavors. I have two, one for sweet, and one for savory.

(Don't want garlic flavored chocolate chip cookies)

>>

urban legend alert...I cook fish on mine and my cookies do not taste fishy.
As far as tainting goes, I guess that could be a myth too. Since my stone is primarily for pizza, it gets a fair amount of pizza goo baked into it. I guess my other foods could be pizza tainted but I don't use my stones for much more than pizza and reheating breads.

I think it depends on what your "stone" is made of and whether or not it's glazed.

I understand that unglazed tiles can be used -- I would imagine, however, that certain ingredients would seep into an unglazed tile.

Then again, if some folks leave the stone in the oven all the time, any "seepage" might in fact be either "baked out" or "baked in", depending on what it is, I guess.

I also think that "cracking" is more likely to occur with an unglazed tile as water will seep in and then expand.

But, I don't use a pizza stone so this is all conjecture on my part.

Christina
my cookies do not taste fishy.

Must be that Pampered Chef special spray coating.

bigpix
I don't use a pizza stone so this is all conjecture on my part.

And why would you need one right? The stone is for the CRUST.

bigpix-she knows what I'm talking about
she knows what I'm talking about

Hey, it's not a secret.

As I am eating "controlled carbs", I make a "crustless pizza".

Bigpix says that there is no such thing!

Christina
Bigpix says that there is no such thing!

Here we go again! I blame myself for starting this but, Officially, pizza is made up of cheese, sauce and dough. While you can add other things and you can take away the cheese, or the sauce, you have to have the crust to put it on and to call it pizza. For goodness sake, it is pizza PIE after all.
What you have is a bowl of sauce and cheese. Or cup. Not pizza.

bigpix-knows pizza
I use my deep die pizza stone to make crustless pizza.

I put a layer of tomato slices, jack cheese, meat, more cheese, veggies. more cheese, and sprinkly with dill and parmesean on top.

Bake and then let is set up for about 10 minutes and you can slice it and eat it.....excellent pizza.
deep die? Well it is to die for but I meant, deep dish.
excellent pizza.

Casserole!

bigpix
For goodness sake, it is pizza PIE after all.

Haven't you ever head of "crustless pie"? LOL.

I'll stop calling it pizza if that makes you happy because I do want to make you happy.

Christina
They seem to crack on their own in the hot oven. Like I said, they are thin cheapo units so no big deal.

Over time the cheapo ones will build up to the cost of a real one.

My Pampered chef ones have never cracked and show no signs of crakcing anytime soon.

Even with rinsing after every use.
Haven't you ever head of "crustless pie"

Nope.

I do want to make you happy.

How I have longed to hear those words. Or read them.

bigpix
Maybe it's time to buy one from Pampered Chef.

bigpix
Maybe it's time to buy one from Pampered Chef.

bigpix

I bought one from PC, it cracked within a few months. So I got it replaced for free from PC. The new one lasted about 2 weeks then it, too, cracked. I gave up.

Mine was in the oven - full time. Never dishwashered, never soaked.

I now don't have one.

Teri
I bought one from PC, it cracked within a few months. So I got it replaced for free from PC. The new one lasted about 2 weeks then it, too, cracked. I gave up.

Mine was in the oven - full time. Never dishwashered, never soaked.

So I guess mosaic tile would be another use for the pizza stone.

James