No. of Recommendations: 0
I posted a little about this on LBYM...what was I thinking...I know, I was thinking LBYM was where I would get my @$$ chewed for being stupid for even thinking about it. I posted here to get constructive critisism and positive reenforcement for me to reach my goals. Everything in moderation you know!

As I stand in the pouring rain, my boots are soaking wet. The wind is blowing the hair out of my ponytail which I took ever so much care putting up this morning after my newly adopted work out. My uniform is drenched and sticking to me and the rain is running down my face messing up my make up. The door unlocks and I slip in. As I get comfortable in my seat, enjoying the warmth of the sun that was once there, I slide the key into the ignition.....

And the pinche madre car won't start! I don't know what is wrong
with it this time. It was pounding down rain so hard I couldn't hear
the engine AT. ALL.

Ok, that was actually the other day. Yesterday I got in and turned the key. It said "click click click". AAAARRRGGGG!!!!!

I didn't like this car to start with! It's not meee. I've wanted a Ford Escape for about a year now...I kind of accidently asked for a local Ford dealer to contact me...I'm looking forward to being out of debt by January and don't know how I'd get a loan for a new vehicle, so I really should even be thinking about it. I can't help it!!!

I had the battery replaced about a week and a half(?) ago, and the guys told me my alternator was bad. Priced alternators...OMG!!! So I did what we did when I was younger...I called up the local junk yard. My step-father is so my better with cars than me :-) But at least he's patient and has a cell phone so even when he's in the field he can still tell me what to do! I finally found time to put my alt. in on Thursday (?) and my battery is already zapped! Now all I need is a jump so I can go back to POS junk yard and get another POS alt and repeat this aggrivating cycle again.

But that's not what I WANT to do. I don't want to worry about replacing my alt. every other week! I just want new wheels!

R
Ok, talk me out of it!!!!!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
Ralphieda:
>>> Ok, talk me out of it!!!!!

Are you really sure you really want to be talked out of it? If not, I doubt anyone can, but as I coincidentally just posted in another thread, a new car note is a giant waste of money and a sure way to maintain an enslaved debtor subsistence. :-) Consider modifying your impulse to "I just want pre-owned wheels!"

Doc
No. of Recommendations: 1
How often do you have to do repairs to your vehicle? If it's regularly taking your cash and laughing at you, maybe you should consider a new USED car. Look at the expenses going into the current car vs the cost of a newer vehicle and you can make a decision based upon that.

Personally speaking,it sounds like you need reliable transportation. I say "go for it" on getting yourself something better.

$.0000002 cents worth of advice. Take as you wish.

Heather
I had the battery replaced about a week and a half(?) ago, and the guys told me my alternator was bad. Priced alternators...OMG!!!

Have the old one rebuilt. Most electrical shops have rebuilts on hand and once they give your core a quick check will give you an exchange.
A cheaper alternative...Pete

PS: The electrical guy can also load test the new battery and eliminate that as a problem.
I agree with goaltender. If you are going to use a used alternator, at least have it tested before you buy it. In my experience, I've had a few alternators go bad--once a day after I helped someone out by giving him a jump!

Alternators are a very minor, easy-to-fix problem. Occasionally they do go bad and must be replaced, but ditching the car because of it is like having a tooth pulled because it has a little tarter on it-- painfull !!

MarkT
No. of Recommendations: 8
If you feel rushed...you aren't going to get a good deal on the Escape you want. If I were you, I'd suck up the $140 for a new alternator that will last you until january when you plan on having your debt paid off. THEN and ONLY then would I start looking for an Escape. You would have saved at least 6 months worth of car payments and the debt payments can go toward your car.

I bet you'll sleep better too.

Eb
*firm believer in not rushing big purchases since 1902*
Consider modifying your impulse to "I just want pre-owned wheels!"

That's what I have now...nothing but a pain in my neck!!

R
No. of Recommendations: 2
I personally think there's nothing wrong with buying a new car if you've got the money to be comfortable with doing it and it fits into your spending philosophy. I've owned both new and used cars and have never had major problems with either type. Well, okay, not exactly true, but my big accident was more thanks to the tire so the car can't be blamed for that...

Used cars are all about checking up on what you're getting. When I would buy used, I have a mechanic I trusted heavily. I would make it a condition that I would not even considering buying a person's car until they (or I) took it to my mechanic to have them look it over. Often I would drop my mechanic $25 bucks or so to take a look at the car and see if there was anything wrong with it that could cause major problems. This included things like cracked blocks, parts breaking down, anything funny at all about the car. It was worth it too. I have bought two used cars in my life, and had six taken to my mechanic. That basically tells you that two out of every three used are lemons, so it's worth every penny of that $25 to get your mechanic to check it out.

I like new cars though cause you don't have to worry about what someone's done with it. Yes, they're one of the most quickly depreciating things you can buy. But my philosophy is that if you can fit it into your budget without cutting into the amount you want to put away for savings, there's nothing wrong with buying a new car. Currently I lease a Civic. I hated having to lease, but it was the cheaper option and I couldn't afford buying at the time. That's thanks to my other new car, which I had bought, blowing a tire and smashing into a truck. I'm still fighting the tire company for money on that one. grrrrrrrr.....

People will tell you a lot of things on how to save your money in different ways. If you've got the money that you're gonna save and are comfortable with it though, I say there's no reason you shouldn't consider buying a new car. It's your life...live it up. As long as you're not damaging your future by overspending, then get what you want, and enjoy what you get!

JMHO

Chris
No. of Recommendations: 4
But that's not what I WANT to do. I don't want to worry about replacing my alt. every other week!

Not an unreasonable expectation of a car (assuming you maintain it). You need it to be reliable and not a perpetual drain on expenses. However...

I just want new wheels!

Sorry to sound like a mom here, but want vs. need. You need a reliable car, right? Can you stick it out another six months till your debts are paid? Is it worth it to buy one good alternator that will last you till then? With a new car (and car note), you'll have the payment each month, which I'm sure will be more than replacement of the alternator. You'll also have increased insurance (new car = comp, collision, etc. ad infinitum). Increased fuel costs? I'm not sure what you drive now, but the Escape isn't a little vehicle with a little gas tank.

I'm sure you'll do the right thing for you. Do yourself a favor, tho, and don't make a decision based on frustration with your current situation. It'll come back to haunt you later.

Gena
No. of Recommendations: 7
I had the battery replaced about a week and a half(?) ago, and the guys told me my alternator was bad. Priced alternators...OMG!!! So I did what we did when I was younger...I called up the local junk yard. My step-father is so my better with cars than me :-) But at least he's patient and has a cell phone so even when he's in the field he can still tell me what to do! I finally found time to put my alt. in on Thursday (?) and my battery is already zapped! Now all I need is a jump so I can go back to POS junk yard and get another POS alt and repeat this aggrivating cycle again.

But that's not what I WANT to do. I don't want to worry about replacing my alt. every other week! I just want new wheels!

I don't know for sure that this will help but about six years ago I had a problem with my car where I replaced the battery three times in the space of about two months. I also replaced the alternator once for good measure. Turned out that the problem was none of these things. There was a short in the trunk light that was constantly draining power off the battery. I unhooked it and had no more problems.

If you live near an Autozone and can coax the car over there they can check the voltage levels on the alternator and the battery for free. This will tell you if the alternator truly is bad. They also have a tool that you can use (it's not difficult) to see if there is a drain on the battery when the car is off. It looks like a screwdriver with a light bulb on top of it. Maybe your stepfather can help you with this if you're uncomfortable. There might just be a short in your electrical system that's draining the battery constantly. In which case, if you track it down, you can unhook it like I did and keep driving.

Leviathan
<<There might just be a short in your electrical system that's draining the battery constantly. In which case, if you track it down, you can unhook it like I did and keep driving.>>

Dern it! Leviathan beat me to part of my post. This is an easy thing to diagnose. At one of the places he mentions or maybe your stepdad has a voltage gauge. That will tell you right away if something is draining the battery. You then pull out each fuse one at a time until the drain stops, and that will isolate your short.

As far as talking you out of buying a new car, I want to start by saying I enjoy your posting on here (your name story really cracks me up). Having said that, it's time for the gloves to come off!

You have all the symptoms of new car lust fever. The biggest symptom was your line that your current car was "not me." You put way too much value into your image and your vehicle.
I went through the same thing when I was about 24. I was having similar problems (electical) with my car, so I chucked it and bought a new one. I went from no payment to $215 a month for five years and ended up with a car that I sold last year for $1,000. So subtract that $1,000 from $12,900 + repairs + taxes (always overvaluing the car) and you will see that really did not get my money's worth. Work on the car that I had might have been as much as two payments on the new car (which was not even as nice as the car that I was driving--no A/C).

I shared this experience with my sister who had cash to spend on a new car. No way, was she going to buy used. She had NEVER owned a new car and she was going to get one hell or high water. She bought a Toyota Corolla, not a bad car but really hard to drive after she totalled it after two years. In the time I bought an outstanding Taurus wagon for far less than what she paid for the Toyota. I think that inspired her to look for a good used car, and dern if she didn't top me. She found a Nissan Sentra (mini-van) with low miles and stayed within the money she got back from the insurance company.

Buying a NEW car in this situation is foolish (I could not make the "f" any smaller).

Fred

No. of Recommendations: 3
I absolutely NEVER buy a car, new or used, unless I know it to be a reliable make and model. Getting a reliable car saves so many headaches. Life is too short to spend it going back and forth to the shop, as you well know.

I don't know about the Ford Escape, but Ford in general does *not* have the best reputation for long-term reliability (hence the ever-popular acronym: Found On Road Dead) You should definitely do your homework, check Consumer Reports, etc. to find out reliability (i.e., frequency-of-repair) data on any car you want to buy. Believe me, you'll thank yourself later.

EditorialWe

(hence the ever-popular acronym: Found On Road Dead)

I like "Fixed Or Repair Daily." My cousin who likes Ford always replies "First On Race Day."

Aaron
will this helpful father in law (that was it, right?) go out & help you find a good new used car?

joycets
Honestly, I don't see the logic in buying a new car and paying at least $15K (sorry, don't even have a clue how much an Escape really is) for a new car because you don't feel like replacing a $140 part in your current car. Unless you have had real maintenence issues with your current car other than the replaced battery and pick-n-pull alternator you had to deal with this month, I don't think not wanting to spend $140 translates into a reason to spend thousands.

Now if you want a new car because that's what you want, then that's a different matter. I just don't think that a little (what I consider) minor repairs to your current car deems it unreliable and in need of replacement.

Again, I have no problem with you wanting a new car. I just question your reason (excuse?) in this particular instance.

Nickie
As I stand in the pouring rain, my boots are soaking wet. The wind is blowing the hair out of my ponytail which I took ever so much care putting up this morning after my newly adopted work out. My uniform is drenched and sticking to me and the rain is running down my face messing up my make up. The door unlocks and I slip in. As I get comfortable in my seat, enjoying the warmth of the sun that was once there, I slide the key into the ignition.....

And the pinche madre car won't start! I don't know what is wrong
with it this time. It was pounding down rain so hard I couldn't hear
the engine AT. ALL.

Hey Ralphieda,

Two suggestions.

1) Buy an umbrella or a raincoat with a hood and ENJOY the rain...
2) New boots.

The car stuff has been covered. :)

foolwizard
who loves that 'sun warmed' feel on a car seat, too
will this helpful father in law (that was it, right?) go out & help you find a good new used car?

He's my step-father, and I don't think so...I was telling him about the car and he told me to go find my own d@mn car. Of course he meant it in the nicest way possible, that's just how he is. But I understand. He is busy with the crops and building their house right now. It is kind of hard to help someone shop for cars 14 hours way!

Besides, I can do it on my own. He just wanted that "first car father/daughter" thing that he didn't get when I bought my first car.

IndependantAlli
Two suggestions.

1) Buy an umbrella or a raincoat with a hood and ENJOY the rain...
2) New boots.

Can't use either one when you're in uniform!!! But thanks anyway :-)

R
I finally found time to put my alt. in on Thursday (?) and my battery is already zapped! Now all I need is a jump so I can go back to POS junk yard and get another POS alt and repeat this aggrivating cycle again.

The alternator powers your car's electrical system. The battery is only useful for starting the car. If you jump start a car with a dead battery, and it continues to run for very long, then your alternator is putting out electrical current. A fully charged battery might run the average car for anywhere from only fifteen minutes up to three or four hours depending on the electrical load. Once the battery is out of juice, if the alternator is bad, the car will not run any more.

So. If you can jumpstart your car, and drive it to the junkyard and back even though the battery is dead, then your alternator is good.

On the other hand, if your alternator is bad, AND you have a dead battery, don't bother jumpstarting it and trying to make it to the junkyard you won't make it.

xtn
A fully charged battery might run the average car for anywhere from only fifteen minutes up to three or four hours depending on the electrical load. Once the battery is out of juice, if the alternator is bad, the car will not run any more.

So true! My old car (a 90 Olds) went 30 miles on a jumped battery when my altenator went in it. I was able to pull it into the garage at my parents house, slap and alternator in it and start it up.

My 97 Grand Am, which has running lights, made it 3 miles. There's no way to shut those durn things off, so after two jumps and 3 miles, hubby dear and I used the tow service offered by our insurance (cost: about $30 a year), and towed the thing to our apartment, where we installed the new alternator and jumped the battery.

impolite
who misses her Olds more than she thought she would