Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
OTOH, if the original poster is married, the sibling could double the tax-free gift amount by gifting to the original poster and spouse.

If the gifting sibling is married, the tax-free gift could also be double by the sibling and spouse gift splitting and giving to the original poster.

If both the original poster and the gifting sibling are married, the tax-free gift amount could be quadrupled by using both techniques.

Regards, JAFO

Right, but he said the gift was going to be in the 50-100K range, so even if both parties are married, a gift tax return would need to be filed. Main point is the poster doesn't have any tax consequences to himself.

But you're right. Since I'm single I tend to think "single" about these things. :o)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.