Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
otterrivervalley poses:

is it more important to focus on HOW TO ACCURATELY ESTIMATE your annual budgetary needs?

This is such an excellent point. We spend far too much time trying to accurately gauge the return of various asset classes, when really, there are three different areas that will affect your ability to stay retired. 1HappyFool has talked about this before. You need to know with some certainty:

1) the return on your assets;
2) your personal inflation rate;
3) how much money you will need and want to spend.

We spend waaay too much time on 1). I personally am most worried not about 1), but about 2), largely because of health care. I can control 3) to some extent, but it is impacted a lot by 2).

I really wish we had more discussion over whether the future rate of inflation is accurately predicted by the historical evidence. That seems to be a much bigger potential deal-breaker than whether stocks will be returning 6% or 3.5%. Just evidence, I supposed, that I did not live through the Great Depression but did live through the 1970's. Experience certainly biases one's views.

-
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.