Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Our 401K is with New England Funds and many of our funds appear to be index funds with low operating expenses in the area of .60% to 1.2%.

Those are not low operating expenses. There are lots of index funds that have expense ratios less than 0.25%. Vanguard, the all time leader in index funds, has an expense ratio of 0.18% on its flagship fund VFINX.

I have been informed that there is a 4% sales commission that will be paid to our New England sales rep. It was described as a one time back load. I am a new fool, and that sounded like a bad thing to me. I would be grateful ir somebody would tell me if this back load is a normal thing, and whether there are other good plans out there that have lower fees and expenses.

<soapbox>
YUK! Back loads on a 401k? That's highway robbery. Tell your employer that you are outraged and furious. There is no excuse for loads ever, and doubly so in a 401k. Is your company's 401k admistrator a total Bozo, or is he getting some kind of kickback? I can't believe that a 401k admistrator can't find you a no-load fund. Start a job action. Get a pettition going at your workplace.

Do you have any no-load choices in the 401k? If so switch immediately.
</soapbox>

Phew! Sorry about that but loads make my blood boil, and incomptent financial "experts" (your 401k admistrator) are like gasoline on the fire!

Cheers,
GW
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.