Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Our friend with the detached retina-Still only 15% vision left on operated eye.

Myself: Just had my first eye operated on yesterday.Procedure took exactly 17 minutes.

Before starting, they give you a sedative pill to dissolve under your tongue, put an IV line in, then just before surgery you're given a 3 drug cocktail for twilight.

They were playing good oldies music in the surgical suite.I could hear someone on the staff singing in the background.I said,"Awesome,I got to come in on karaoke day".
The singer leaned over me & said,'you're really in luck.The doctor operating on you sings too."

I had to pay extra for the premium lens implant that would correct for astigmatism (topic lens).
Day 1 post-op recheck shows a fair amount of inflammatory cells still suspended in the front eye-chamber that need to clear in the next week before cloudy vision can go away.

Also, there is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory eye drop that you use twice a day starting 2 days before surgery,& continuing for a month after (Bromsite).Medicare won't pay for any of it.

A 5 ml bottle costs just over $300.I'll need to be on it for 2 months since I'm scheduled for the 2nd eye in another month.It works out to be about $3.12 per drop.That means I'll need to get the prescription refilled at least once.

It's double-capped.The outside cap was almost impossible to get off without resorting to pliers.
You don't know how frustrating it was to use it the first time.I took the inside cap off & about 5 drops shot out & down the side of the bottle before & could even turn it upside-down.

I do have to say that using this drop has me almost pain-free post-op.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.