No. of Recommendations: 1
Our mathematical description of the physical world does not dictate the reality of nature any more than saying the word blue dictates what color you see. You may find Newton adorable on this point, but being condescending doesn't change the fact that our math models are and always will be our descriptive language to explain what we observe. We discovered two rocks. We invented a language to convey that knowledge to other humans.

Yes, I understand that is what you believe. That is what most believe I suspect. I'm just pointing out that physics seems to be moving in a different direction from what you believe. Sorry about being condescending, but I just get tired of people who won't even consider ideas and hypotheses that are supported by a fair amount of scientific data simply because it doesn't fit their world view.

I may be stupid, but at least I'm consistently stupid.

I wouldn't say stupid. I'd say more that you aren't willing to consider anything outside your comfort zone. You and bdhinton have different opinions, but share the same trait of being unwilling to consider things from a different perspective.

Some physicists see a mathematical universe where equations dictate physical reality. I'm exploring that idea and seeing what might be the theological consequences. You reject the whole notion out of hand. You provide emotional and anecdotal reasons, but have yet to provide an argument based on science why this line of speculation is invalid.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.