Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 14
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/17/us/hospital-lawsuits-pandemic...

CNN's review of court filings across 16 states the company operates in found that most of the patients sued by CHS -- like Bull -- didn't hire a lawyer or fight the lawsuits, and judges often ruled in the company's favor by default. In some states, defendants' debts piled on with attorney's fees and interest. Elsewhere, the hospital chain's subsidiaries quickly moved to garnish defendants' paychecks after a judgment.

Tip of the sickening iceberg.

SLL
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
We don’t care about people. We care about money.
No. of Recommendations: 2
To start with, let's stop calling it a healthcare system.  It's a medical treatment business.  Creating health has nothing much to do with it.   Identifying it as the for-profit enterprise it is would help us adjust our expectations.

regards,
Kris
No. of Recommendations: 6
The USA does not have a healthcare system. It has a healthcare industry.

Cheers
Qazulight
No. of Recommendations: 3
To me, this is the root of the problem:

Moberly Regional sued Bull last May for $9,281, costs that Bull said came from an emergency room visit for food poisoning several years ago.

The pricing for health care is completely wrong. Of course she can't pay when the price is beyond the financial margin of safety of 50% of the population.

She evidently doesn't have insurance--and I suspect that is one reason the bill is unreasonably high. An insurance company would have pre-negotiated rates and their price would likely be a small fraction of this bill.

Finally, it is a perfect example of the reason health care is not a commodity that people can shop around for. If you have food poisoning so bad that you need to go to the emergency room, you go to the nearest emergency room for treatment. You don't call around for quotes. You go, you get treated, and you find out how much it costs after the fact. (In fairness to the hospital, they don't know the price until after the fact either.)

So, the "system" charges the most to people who can least afford it.
No. of Recommendations: 0
The USA does not have a healthcare system. It has a healthcare industry.

I gave you a rec coz that's all too true and very well put. But I find Medicare is different. No fighting over coverage (not so far anyhow). And I've had a lot of physical therapy in recent years.