No. of Recommendations: 49
Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-OK) recently hosted a town hall where he fielded a noxious question from an unidentified woman suggesting Obama “should be executed as an enemy combatant. This guy is a criminal! Nobody’s stopping him!” This should have been exactly when a member of Congress--or anyone with an ounce of decency--would have said a comment like that was inappropriate. Instead, Bridenstine's response reeked of actual sympathy:

Look, everybody knows the lawlessness of this president. He picks and chooses which laws he’s going to enforce or not enforce. He does it by decree. Obama....uses foreign bodies, he uses, you know, the United Nations to change the laws in the United States.

Again, why was a sitting member of Congress wholly unconcerned by someone suggesting that the president be executed? Where was some form of reprimand or denunciation? Or was he too damn scared to offend even one unhinged constituent in his district?

(above a summary of author Steve Brenen on today's Maddowblog..)

For comparison in a similar situation, let's recall McCain at a town hall in MN in Oct., 2008, when a purple-faced woman said, "I, I, can't trust Obama. I've read about him. He's an Arab!" McCain wasn't having it--"I have to tell you, Ma'am, Senator Obama is a decent person, a decent family man that I just happen to have disagreements with. He's a person you don't have to be scared of as president."

No admirer of McCain's politics on most issues.....just an admirer of someone who grows a backbone and does an obvious right thing.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.