No. of Recommendations: 1
Our retirement expenses are more than we thought they'd be.
We spend a lot of money on food.

We also spend more on food than expected. One reason is that I feed extra people more often. Also, as our health becomes more sensitive (I try to avoid gluten and especially lactose, the hubster needs to avoid things that raise blood pressure like caffeine, alcohol, and salt), and I learn more about health (avoiding cheap baked goods with trans fats and commercially raised meat/fish, eating more leafy greens, berries, avocados, nuts & seeds--not cheap). Not to mention developing a taste for things like kombucha, fresh shiitake mushrooms and shellfish (mmm…crabcakes!)--and those prepared vegan salads and noodle bowls at Whole Foods…

I run the clothes dryer almost every single day

Wow, really? I have small machines (not the jumbo washer & dryers often sold these days) and usually do 4 loads a week.

I make an effort to conserve water and electricity via short showers, shortest cycles on dishwasher & washing machine. Unplug stuff. Use as few lights as possible. Water the yard as little as possible. Gradually replacing incandescent lightbulbs. Stopped turning on decorative lighting outdoors.

We've also stopped cable tv and non-cell phones to cut utility bills, and reduced our cell phone plan data limit. However, we added iPad service for the hubster (I already had it for RVing).

We got a puppy and he eats like a horse.
The cat is old and her teeth bother her so we cook for her.

Pets can be expensive, messy, allergenic, and inconvenient, which is why we don't have any. My husband is more accustomed to having pets than I am, and I periodically offer to let him acquire one, but he says he's good without. We go bird-watching and look for ghost crabs on the beach at dusk ;-)

At first we traveled a lot, but not so much lately. With more medical appointments and visits from children/grandchildren, and with my elderly mom's dependence on me to drive her (note to self: make Mom an appointment for a facial so she can use up that gift card-) and sometimes cook for her, it's getting harder to plan on travel.

Since this is the Retire Well *on Less* board, I should note that I think we ought to downsize, but the hubster doesn't want to.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.