Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Our retirement planner at work suggested I put 15% into 401k. My company matches 75% upto 6% of my salary. Additionally he suggested maxxing out a Roth IRA for both my wife and myself. Additionally my company offers a fixed fun which is guaranteed 6% return, compounded daily. He also suggested that i put the maximum annual contribution into this, which is 10K.

Therfore that is 17500(limit) into 401K + 5310 company match. 11000 into Roth IRA's. 10000 into the Fixed Fund.
Total Savings is 43810.

Is this excessive?

Assuming that you want to retire in your mid - late 60's, that does seem a bit aggressive to me. For someone at your age, I have generally seen estimates of saving 12% - 15% of your total income in retirement savings each year, assuming that they will retire at the Social Security defined 'Full Retirement Age' (67 in your case). If you want to retire earlier, you may need to save a bit more than the 12% - 15%. Here is an article that I found that provides some guidance on saving 15% and some explanation about 'why 15%?' that you might find useful: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmarotta/2012/09/03/how-much...

I would also strongly suggest getting a complete understanding of what the 'fixed fund' rules for distributions and withdrawals are, as well as if the money is really yours, or if it still belongs to your employer, before putting any money into it. If it is a non-qualified deferred compensation vehicle, I would suggest staying far away from it, as money in these types of plans is generally considered to be the employer's, not the employee's, and can be used to pay obligations of the employer.

Seems like I could be enjoying some of that money rather than saving so much.

Before you start 'enjoying' all the money that you decide not to invest, be sure you have a fully funded emergency fund (generally 6 - 12 months of expenses), and that you are putting aside sufficient funds for things like college for your kids, replacements for vehicles, remodeling projects, large home maintenance projects (like a new roof or new A/C), etc.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.