Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Fools,

I just want to share that we're not sure exactly how we'll purchase our first 5 shares of Pepsi yet, but we'll know in a day or two. We may use Temper of the Times (Moneypaper) or we may use a discount broker. More on this soon.

Foolishly,

Jeff
Print the post Back To Top
I just want to share that we're not sure exactly how we'll purchase our first 5 shares of Pepsi
yet, but we'll know in a day or two. We may use Temper of the Times (Moneypaper) or we may
use a discount broker. More on this soon.

According to the last report for Dripping Pepsi TMF shares were suppose to be free due to the Moneypaper subscription. THis was to be done with "GiftsofStock.com" I tried this site as well BUT PEPSI was not on there list at the moment. And NO discount was being offered when you subsribed to the Moneypaper.
I saw no advantage of using "giftsofstock.com" other than getting a MOCK certificate with the "gift" vs DirectInvesting.com.

If I missed something please let me know.
I would like TMF to let us know what happened.

Unfortunate is the case cause I FIRST subscribed to the Moneypaper in an effort to get the $5.00 rebate per each Company Drip you order shares for. Apparently this is only for DirectInvesting.com this applies for.
I found it VERY misleading as the Moneypaper,DirectInvesting & Giftsofstock are linked together. There was not a statement anywhere at giftsofstock.com that there would NOT BE a rebate on the shares bought from being a member to the Moneypaper, Or even to say that to receive a rebate you can get this ONLY through Directinvesting.

Very dissapointed indeed.

Bob
Bob,

According to the last report for Dripping Pepsi TMF shares were suppose to be free due to the Moneypaper subscription.
I'm not sure what you mean about shares being "free." Maybe you're referring to the fact that, once enrolled in the PepsiCo DRIP, there are no fees?

in an effort to get the $5.00 rebate per each Company Drip you order shares for. Apparently this is only for DirectInvesting.com this applies for.
I think the problem is that you are thinking in terms of a "rebate." That's something that Moneypaper has never said. The simple fact is, that, as a subscriber, you are charged $15...which is true whether you order online at www.directinvesting.com or use a mail-in form. We started offering enrollment to nonsubscribers for a $20 fee. The special offers at www.giftsofstock.com state the terms of the offer.

dave fish/moneypaper
Bob,

We aren't subscribing to anything and if we do use Temper (Moneypaper's division) we'll be paying $20 for our Pepsi transaction, which isn't bad.

Still, if you are personally buying several Drips in the next year, as a subscriber to Moneypaper you SHOULD get the $5 discount on each one, paying only $15 per order. So, make sure that you're not misunderstanding what you're reading! As a MP subscriber, in the past, anyway, you only paid $15 per order. I do not believe that has changed, so you should be in luck.

Pepsi was not listed on GiftsofStock.com although we thought it was. As soon as we realized it wasn't (the same day we made the announcement) we corrected the column. Of course, we need to write more about this tomorrow in the column so everyone knows the situation. Pepsi isn't on GiftsofStock and when using Temper you may only get the certificate delivered to you, and then need to enroll in Pepsi yourself (policy of the transfer agent is to not take group enrollments).

So, there is that for us to consider tomorrow, too.

Read up again, though. As a subscriber, I think you should be paying a lower rate per purchase. (Unless they changed that, but I don't see why the would.)

Jeff
Quoted from TMF Trade Alert:

We're using the services of Temper of the Times for our Pepsi transaction.
The fee to buy initial shares of a company's stock and have Temper enroll
you in the company's Drip is $20 for nonsubscribers to Temper's MoneyPaper
service (that's us) and $15 for subscribers.

However, as past subscribers (we subscribed our first year), we recently
received an offer for a free transaction. Other Fools have mentioned this
offer on the discussion boards, too, but I believe that it is only for past
subscribers. We'd be silly to bypass this offer. So, we'll buy our first
shares of Pepsi through Temper http://www.giftsofstock.com and our $20
transaction fee will be reimbursed. We'll send our money (about $200, which
includes the fee and a price cushion in case the stock rises) to buy our
first five shares within the next five market days. (Remember that we saved
our money the past few months to make a new purchase. We'll eat a little
into next month's money, too.)

I should be alittle more clear I guess....this is what I was talking about TMF free fee....Sorry.

The "rebate" offer I was talking about is like you say
$15 for members $20 for non-members.

It is a play with words but no matter how you slice it to get the $5.00 (savings) per order you need to be a member. The SAVINGS should be made clearer. IE That being a MEMBER makes no difference with GiftsofStock. There are no savings.

Quoted fromt the Gifts of Stock:
http://www.giftsofstock.com/AboutUs.html
Inspired by the ease of building a sizable portfolio
through direct investment plans, over the years,
subscribers to The Moneypaper have requested that we
implement a way for them to help their friends and
family members also become enrolled in DRIPs. Thus,
twice a year, generally in May and December, we have
been offering a gift service to our subscribers. That
service marks the beginning of what has evolved into this
Giftsofstock site.

This is all great and fine but I still think NEW members joining will think there will be that $5.00 Savings...if they read DirectInvesting first AS I did....I know I know it states in your
terms page about the $20 fee... But reading that Nonmembers pay $20 & members pay $15 with Directinvesting it leads one to think the Fees would be the same with giftsofstock. As Temper is used in both services...
http://www.giftsofstock.com/terms.html

It should be made clear that Moneypaper membership savings will not be in effect with this offer. And that membership is not needed.

Bob
Pepsi was not listed on GiftsofStock.com although we thought it was. As soon as we realized it
wasn't (the same day we made the announcement) we corrected the column. Of course, we need
to write more about this tomorrow in the column so everyone knows the situation. Pepsi isn't on
GiftsofStock and when using Temper you may only get the certificate delivered to you, and then
need to enroll in Pepsi yourself (policy of the transfer agent is to not take group enrollments).

So, there is that for us to consider tomorrow, too.

Read up again, though. As a subscriber, I think you should be paying a lower rate per purchase.
(Unless they changed that, but I don't see why the would.)

Jeff

Ok here we go...
You see the confusion here... "as a subscriber I think you should be paying a lower rate per purchase."

And what is this about just sending the cert & still having to enroll??
I am going to have to read giftsofstock.com again.
I am missing something here....Or am I ???
Are we talking about when using temper through giftsofstock or with DirectInvesting ? or does it matter?
Group enrollments???
Explain... I just wanted to get this going for my kids.

Bob
Hello Bob,

Try to slow down a little and read the information provided from the company; I'm not a representative of Moneypaper, Temper, etc, and I haven't used the service for about 2 years.

In the past, all that I did use was Temper of the Times. When Drip Port launched, we subscribed to Moneypaper (the Temper newsletter) because that got us $15 purchases with Temper as opposed to $20 purchases. (We thought that we'd save money in the end by subscribing, but alas, we didn't make enough purchases. Still, it wasn't a bad deal.)

Here is all I know: you needn't subscribe to use Temper of the Times. It is $20 to enroll in each Drip if you don't subscribe. If you do subscribe to a company newsletter, it is only $15 to enroll.

GiftsofStock appears to cost $20 per enrollment either way. This service is mainly to set up accounts for friends and family and I think it is separate from other offerings.

Do read up, though. If it's too confusing, contact the company for clarification.

If you have subscribed to a newsletter from them, as it sounds you did, then your purchases should cost $15 through Temper. That may not change the cost of your GiftsofStock purchases, though, since that is a different service. In that case, use Temper instead. It's simple to register a Drip for someone else, anyway. You just need their name, social security number, address.

I hope this helps!

Remember -- relax, take your time, read carefully. Enjoy the process. You're working slowly to help make someone's long, long-term future much better.

Fool on,

Jeff

Bob,

Thanks for clearing up the items that you're referring to.
As Jeff pointed out, the one free fee is/was a special promotion for former subscribers.

IE That being a MEMBER makes no difference with GiftsofStock.
The GiftsofStock web site is a special case, because it offers a selected group of companies for enrollment NOT for the person ordering, but rather for a gift recipient, so there's an extra layer of processing, therefor no member/nonmember issue.

This is all great and fine but I still think NEW members joining will think there will be that $5.00 Savings
There is a $5 savings for new members, but keep in mind the simple fact that you don't use the GiftsofStock site to subscribe, nor do you use it to order stocks for yourself, so there's no statement at that site about the savings. It's simply not relevant to the gift site. Nevertheless, we'll look at the need for some type of disclaimer.

dave fish/moneypaper
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hello all,

I've started 2 DRIP's in the past couple of years. The first, with JNJ, was through Temper of the Times (Moneypaper). It cost $20, and took 2-3 months for everything to go thru. The second, INTC, I purchased 1 share through my discount broker (E*Trade), and had them issue the certificate in my name. It cost $19.95 for the trade, and a $5 fee for the certificate. (Other brokers will have different fee structures, so this is just one example). The one nice thing about this method is that is was really quick - less than 1 month. Then I had to contact Intel and fill out the forms, but once they have you in their system as being a shareholder, it goes quick.

If I start a third DRIP, I will try and use NAIC's Low Cost Plan - the cost is $7 per company to set up the DRIP. The only catch here is you have to be a member of NAIC to be eligible - which is well worth the $39 membership fee, IMO.

Anyway, just a few more thoughts.......

Canuckian
From Canuckian,

If I start a third DRIP, I will try and use NAIC's Low Cost Plan - the cost is $7 per company to set up the DRIP. The only catch here is you have to be a member of NAIC to be eligible - which is well worth the $39 membership fee, IMO.

From Jeff Fischer (TMF Jeff)
July 19, 2000
http://www.fool.com/m.asp?i=59054
“A few days ago, an alert Fool named Tim P. wrote to tell us that Temper of the Times, the service that we planned to use to buy our first shares of PepsiCo, can't conduct the entire transaction for us due to the transfer agent of Pepsi's plan, Bank of New York. This transfer agent requests that each individual file their forms to register in the plan individually. So, they won't allow Temper to file plan enrollment requests for individuals.

It seems to me that if Temper cannot group enrol, Then NAIC will not be able to group enrol either. Has any checked with NAIC to see if Pspsi could be bought there?

Roy

Frequently Asked Questions : NAIC Investment Services :
Are there other ways to buy the first share of stock for a DRIP?
Some individuals use an organization called First Share. Its members sell each other the initial shares needed to get started in a DRIP. First Share takes a small fee for setting it up. First Share's telephone number is 1-800-683-0743. They're located in Colorado, so call during their business hours.
Another organization that offers a similar service is The Moneypaper. Their phone number is 1-800-592-1551.

Some info. from NAIC.

coolh2o
Thank you to everyone for the suggestions!! I'm pondering the options with three variables in mind:

Price
Ease of transaction
Time needed for delivery

Foolishly,

Jeff
http://www.gomez.com/scorecards/index.cfm?topcat_id=3&ref_Vendor_Id=6455

Above is the link to the gomez.com website. TMF Jeff, you probably have heard this one a thousand times. It has online brokers ranked. When is the deadline for the decision? Good Luck to all. Stay'n Foolish.

coolh2o