Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to get 240V service?

Service: Nothing, this is what houses come with.
It did cost me ~$350 to buy the charger (technically EVSE, since the charger is really in the car).

I could have installed it myself, since I've added breakers to a panel before. I only needed to run a wire about 24" from my panel, but I wasn't confident in drilling through the back of the panel, so I paid an electrician about $400 to do it. They had an approximately flat rate for doing an EV charger install. He made out since mine was so simple. It took about 20 minutes.

This was about 4 or 5 years ago. The amperage hasn't changed on the spec for L2 chargers. 6kw is the norm but it can vary and be as high as 19kw (80 amps). Each car chooses how much it will take based on the max that an EVSE device can provide. Most homes built in the last 30-40 years can probably provide 40 amps at 240v, the same as an A/C.

A good rule of thumb is to take the kw rating (kw=amps*volts) and multiply by 3 or 4 (depending on the efficiency of the car) to get the number of miles of range added for each hour of charging. eg 6 kw gives you 24 miles in an hour.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.