Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Out of curiousity, I plugged into Google Maps: White Oak, MD to Gude Drive, Rockville, MD. I had not noticed before, but Google Directions not only gives total mileage and time, but time in traffic (17.2 mi – about 26 mins (up to 40 mins in traffic)).

The 40 mins estimate sounds about right no matter which roads (large or small) you end up taking. And there are only so many places to cross East/West over Rock Creek. The commute, IMHO, is not that horrible.

For me to go from approximately Wheaton (Georgia Avenue/193) to Rockville (Veirs Mill/Rockville Pike (355)) takes about 20-30 mins in traffic -- longer if raining, snowing, accident, or police activity, etc. That is a good 1/2 of your commute as you would need to go a tad farther north to get to Gude Drive and farther east to stretch to White Oak. Mostly, the traffic lights are the cause of slow downs. You will find a lot of east/west traffic in the area as people try to get cross county, such as onto/off of 270 and to/from locales closer to Baltimore or Prince Georges County.

I think White Oak is a nice choice. If you change job locations, you are close to bus/metro, The Beltway, and 95. Taking 29 towards Columbia is even a piece of cake since the road is almost complete in its overpass rehab. There is a Costco in Beltsville that has a gas station.

I suggest mapping out a northerly route (such as Bonifant/Bell Pre/Norbeck/Gude) and a southerly route (Randolph/Veirs Mill or University Blvd) and then driving each to see which you like best for every day and which would be a good backup. You may find you like one route over another just because of the errand stops you can make on the way. I change up my route when I want to go to Shoppers Food Warehouse on the way home for groceries or the Shady Grove post office that is open until 7:00 pm.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.