Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
What do we think about the Outernet project, and how it would affect companies like AMT? Just google 'Outernet' to find several articles.

Basically this project would create satellite-provided wifi for the whole world. They are trying to roll out the project within a couple of years. The technology exists today. They just need to deploy it.

Right now the vision of Outernet is just to provide access to certain websites like Wikipedia and Ubuntu for the purpose of sharing ideas and providing access to parts of the world that don't currently have it. But it seems to me it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have all data bouncing through satellites.

I've been wondering why cell providers aren't already looking into this. Perhaps they are. If they did, companies like AMT would be done, I think. Am I wrong?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Wouldn't that depend on the how much Outernet will charge for its services?
No. of Recommendations: 0
Certainly. But this Outernet project is supposedly free for viewing certain web sites. I suppose they would charge for others. They are collecting donations for this project.

Other thoughts are that AT&T, Verizon, etc, might do a similar thing, and just replace the cell towers. Depends on how cost-effective it would be. If they do, that's also where I would fear for the likes of AMT.