Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I am currently an indoor exerciser, and have pretty much always been an indoor exerciser. However, since I am training to walk a half marathon I need to start getting outside soon becuase a) my half marathon is not taking place indoors and b) the treadmill and track are pretty boring when you are doing 8-9 mile long walks.

My issue is that since I haven't been an outdoor exerciser, I am not sure what the appropriate amount of clothing to wear in certain circumstances is. For example, tomorrow it's supposed to be about 45 degrees out during the time I want to walk. I know how to dress appropriately when I am going to be outside in that temperature and *not* active, but I'm not sure what is best when I'm going to huff and puff and walk a lot.

Any guidance you can provide is appreciated. I think we are still going to do the gym tomorrow, but I want to start walking outside the following weekend.

d
Print the post Back To Top
Wear multiple thin layers. Start with more layers than you think you need, because when you get heated you can strip off a layer. If you start thin and find yourself too cool, you can't go back for another shirt.

Over time you'll judge what you need for the type of weather, although conditions can be so variable it can be hard to know. The amount of sunshine, the humidity factor, walking on dirt vs. concrete, etc.

I've read that running boosts your perception of temperatures by fifteen degrees on average, so that if it's seventy degrees outside, you should dress as if it will feel like eighty-five, but I don't think the same would hold for walking.

This sounds like you need to just get out there and walk, and call your first few sessions a learning experience.
I know how to dress appropriately when I am going to be outside in that temperature and *not* active, but I'm not sure what is best when I'm going to huff and puff and walk a lot.

As James said, dress in layers. Start with enough to be out in that temp and not active...but have at least 3 layers to get you there. As you warm up, take off a layer. You might want to do your first "outside" exercise at a school track so you can just leave the extra clothes by the side of the track, or you can tie it around your waist.

If I was going for a run in 45 degree whether, I'd start out with shorts and a T-shirt and gloves and keep it there. I'd be a little cool at the start and quickly warm up to comfortable and maybe even sweating, but I run hot and the only thing that seems to get cold on my is my hands.

After you've gone out a few times, you will get your feel for it.
My issue is that since I haven't been an outdoor exerciser, I am not sure what the appropriate amount of clothing to wear in certain circumstances is. For example, tomorrow it's supposed to be about 45 degrees out during the time I want to walk. I know how to dress appropriately when I am going to be outside in that temperature and *not* active, but I'm not sure what is best when I'm going to huff and puff and walk a lot.

You'll have to learn what works best for you, personally, by trial and error. I walked long distances for many years without paying a lot of attention; I just got used to knowing which jacket was good for what weather.

THBS, the advice you're likely to get here will tend toward the cool side for walking. 45° F and sunny with minimal wind would mean jeans, a light jacket, and maybe gloves if I were out walking; it might be shorts and tee shirt weather if I were out running. Of course, different people will draw the line of where to put on more than shorts and a tee shirt at different temperatures. And the line can shift for the same person over time.

My best guess: For vigorous walking, dress like being "not active" at 10° warmer for starters. Note how that feels, and make future adjustments accordingly.

Patzer
No. of Recommendations: 2
I agree with what has been said. Layers, and underdress, because you will warm up. I don't usually put on tights until it's below 20 (which hardly ever happens in SoCal) and I don't usually need gloves or a hat unless its in the low 30s. But that is for running. For walking, probably need to adjust those temps up. Experience will tell you what you need.

I am a big fan of high tek performance fabrics. Discurro is a fan of cheap old raggedy cotton shirts. :) Wear what is comfortable for you. If you do loops, you can stash clothes at your house.

pcwa
Become of friend of Vaseline.Apply to chaffing spots like thigh-groin area.For hours-long walks.Bandaid nipple area.
At 45 degrees in a race, I'd be in shorts and a long sleeved tech fabric top (and probably a tank layered over that). Definitely gloves and a hat with a brim. If I was just on a training walk, I'd layer the shorts over tights, but the rest would be about the same.

I usually look at the hour by hour forecast to get an idea of what the temps are expected to be when I get done hours later than I start. I would expect to be chilly when I start, but warm up as I get moving and maybe a little too warm by the end.

Rose
Who walks 3+ hour half marathons
Discurro is a fan of cheap old raggedy cotton shirts. :)

True dat!
Depends on weather for me. Bsically, 45 and above I wear some sort of a long sleeve and a fleece. Of course, go to short sleeve and no fleece depending on temp.

Below that, same, but the lower it gets, I may switch to a polypro cover over the long sleeve.