Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Overall our <1 week> Envision Experience was good & impressive. Good speakers, lots of information, networking.
Logistics: they did a clear & effective job of organizing travel.
the elf flew in alone and met his transportation, got to the hotel...all with no problem. The supervision is appropriate to the age level.
Meaning, they aren't watching them every second, and give them some freedom, but they do have deadlines for meetups & curfews.

We also have the invitation for the summer program (Engineering), but I am sure it will come down to either/or - not both.
Since the elf has done CTY before and knows/loves the place & people <Roger Williams Campus>, I am sure that will be his choice.

Programs like these (in general) offer both a more high level and in depth exposure to <insert field here>, with a clear example of the actual work required to pursue that field and exposure to other self-motivated (in that field) interested kids.
I don't know how braidgirl is in the friend department, but the elf doesn't really have real-life friends his age.
He has adults who think he is great.
He has the kids with whom he participate in Youth & Government* (he is Lieutenant Governor of CT)
but his "friends" are (to mix threads) his online-gaming friends.

So, programs like CTY and Envision, put kids who might not really have peers** in an actual peer situation, which IMO is just as valuable as the classroom stuff.
Most of these kids are there by their own choosing and not at the push of a parent.
I know there is financial aid available for both of these programs, but I do not have experience with that part. (we fall into the make too much to qualify, not enough to not have it be a considerable budget concern

peace & Does any of that help?
t

*YAG program through YMCA. If there is a local, nearby Y and this program is offered there, check it out. It is a great overall political, socially responsible program. Kids are expected to debate, be aware of current events/issues... anyway- it might be right up her alley if she is interested in law.
http://njyag.ymcace.org/

**peers - someone once said something to the effect of I could never be convicted by a jury of my peers, it would not be possible to find TWELVE people who are my peers
and the elf feels that way at school- that he doesn't really have peers, just classmates.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.