Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I filed my 2011 taxes on-time and owed about $1000, which I paid with my return. In June I received a check from the US treasury department for $140 for an 'overtax refund'. Besides that one line on the check there was no explanation. I looked over my return and could not find any errors. I was expecting at least a letter with an explanation.

I'm a bit stumped as to 1. Why I would receive a refund when my return showed an amount due and 2. What mistake I made (if any) to cause the refund. My other idea is that this might be for a prior tax year, but I have not filed any amended returns for previous year.

I did file an amended state return 2 years ago but I don't know how that would affect my federal return.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.