Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Owens Corning, a great building supply manufacturer (insulation, roofing, fiberglass, think Pink Panther TV commercials), a strongly profitable company, went into bankruptcy a while back because the lawsuits brought about by their earlier use of asbestos in insulation threatened to destroy the company.

They piloted their way through bankruptcy, established a reasonable trust fund to handle the asbestos claims, and came out of bankruptcy the first week of November.

They're a 68-year old company, well run, profitable, and a "new" stock on the market, 3.2B market cap, 103.2M shares, stock price closing today at 31.47. Their return to the market (ticker: OC) is apparently unknown to most. Stock price has been going up well over the month; I've made 8% since buying in on 11/16. It's my second largest stock investment, and I wish I had more money to invest in this company. I can't see any downside to it.

Yet, I can't rate it on CAPS because it doesn't even come up when I search on the company's ticker. Why is CAPS so slow to add a "new" stock that meets all of the CAPS criteria (market cap and price hugely above the minimums)?

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.