Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
An Amazon package containing a T-shirt was "damaged" during shipping, deemed undeliverable and returned to sender. Initially, I received a message that it was lost then a couple of hours later that it was returned to sender. I am still trying to understand how a shipper could destroy an article of clothing which was likely in a bag. It can take significant abuse because it doesn't break or smash.

A package from Walmart that contained liquid dishwashing liquid was damaged during shipment and disposed of by carrier. It is easy to image how a cardboard box containing a plastic bottle of liquid could be damaged. Images of a cardboard box leaking green goo is at least somewhat entertaining.

This is the third package that has been destroyed in transit. The third package was out for delivery by Amazon and was deemed undeliverable because of damage.

Each was a different carrier.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
You have seen videos of the automated sorting equipment that shipping companies use to sort packages. You can imagine what happens when the equipment jams. Stuff runs together with considerable speed and must be rescued.

I would image soft packages travel in baskets or bags. But what happens if its on the bottom with heavy stuff on top. Of stuff moved by forklift truck.

Shipping liquids is fine if packaged properly. But probably not a plastic bottle in a box filled with packing peanuts.

Glitches happen. Maybe its the learning curve for some items.
Perhaps someone is telling you to buy less stuff, lol (sarcasm)
Perhaps someone is telling you to buy less stuff, lol (sarcasm)

Possibly, only one item was needed. The dishwashing liquid was reordered and is being used.

I don't know if I will reorder the most recent item that was destroyed in transit. I haven't bought any clothes this year. Maybe I should leave it that way.

The third was an item that I found out while it was in transit that it wouldn't work for me. It wasn't reordered.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Sorry. But people wonder why we rarely buy on line or in the mail? We like bricks and mortar stores: you go in, find what you like, try it on or whatever, buy it and leave.

Vermonter
We like bricks and mortar stores: you go in, find what you like, try it on or whatever, buy it and leave.

Stuff gets shipped to the store by truck in large packages. That has to be very economical compared to packing it in a small box and shipping one at a time.

Plus you get it right a way. Get it home safely. Can inspect for damage. Read the label. Easily compare with other products on the shelf.

Online shopping saves time and minimizes virus exposure. But in store shopping is still better for many items. Online is best when searching for something hard to find or maybe rarely needed.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry. But people wonder why we rarely buy on line or in the mail? We like bricks and mortar stores: you go in, find what you like, try it on or whatever, buy it and leave.

Vermonter

Your position is understood.

I don't frequently buy clothes online. Given the Shelter In Place buying clothes hasn't been necessary.

Stores keep changing inventory. Even when it isn't necessary. I bought a three shelf bookcase from Big Lots. Big Lots had discontinued it before I could buy another one. I am still annoyed that basic clothing items are routinely changed by stores. How many versions of black pants are necessary?

Today was the first day in a number of weeks that I was able to go into a grocery store. I injured my knee several weeks ago and am just getting to the point of being able to walk enough to do grocery shopping. Using curbside pickup and delivery has been necessary.

The problems that have occurred with both Amazon and Walmart deliveries have been easy to resolve. Even the one where an Amazon item was suppose to be 10 items and I received only one. The birthday present for our granddaughter arrived today. I have to admit Amazon wish lists are great. Click and it's on your doorstep. All 28 pounds of it. Not something I could handle from a brick and mortar store.

The not needed item I would have bought and then realized that it required to much power to take on a cruise ship.
We like bricks and mortar stores: you go in, find what you like, try it on or whatever, buy it and leave.

Over the course of the pandemic, I have found that I definitely save money ordering online. It's easy to compare prices on items I need and I only order the things I need.

However, my close by grocery store has someone who doesn't know the difference between regular ground beef or doesn't care because the grass fed has been in the markdown section(twice at least) for ~1.50/pound or less with a couple of days to go on the sell by date.
There's more to life than saving money! There's also finding what you really like, tasting it or trying it on, or making sure it's the right size or... You get the idea.

There's also walking in, liking it, buying it, and enjoying it right away.

To each his own.

Vermonter
Happened to me once. I ordered a pepper mill that arrived in pieces with a clear set of tire tracks on the package and a week late.

Had fun with the “reason for return”
There's more to life than saving money!

I spent just over 40% of 2019 traveling. This time last year I was spending a month traveling in Australia. I spent a month in New Zealand at the beginning of this year.

OTOH, I have taking the pandemic seriously which turns out to be different than many people.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I see all these responses about damage in shipment, but I haven't seen one like our experience yet. DH ordered a pair of boots, and we happened to hear the UPS guy drop off the package, so we grabbed it before he had left. It was empty, and very clearly so. We tried to give it back to the UPS guy, but he said it would take longer to get a replacement that way vs. taking the empty box, calling the vendor, and having them ship another pair.

Turns out he was right.

The problem was that the box only had a fold-in bottom, and they didn't bother to put a piece of tape over it to hold it closed. Even after we called to ask for a replacement, which they promptly sent, they did not bother to change their process to add that piece of tape, so somewhere there was a brand new in-the-box pair of boots that had fallen out of our first package. Apparently, it was cheaper for them to replace boots that fell out than to put on that piece of tape, and as a former packaging engineer who once removed a 3 cent plastic bag from a box yielding a 6-figure savings that went directly to the bottom line, I understood.
I spent just over 40% of 2019 traveling. This time last year I was spending a month traveling in Australia. I spent a month in New Zealand at the beginning of this year.

OTOH, I have taking the pandemic seriously which turns out to be different than many people.

We only spent 36% of 2019 traveling but it was an epic trip to the Baltic and Highlands! Four years ago tomorrow we were setting out for Australia and New Zealand. We got in a month of travel this year before the pandemic hit. I'm so glad we got as much traveling in as we could for the last 48 years.

DH & I have taken the pandemic seriously too! We are 100% online shopping and cancelled the rest of this years travel.

My only issue with delivery is they said it was delivered and it wasn't. I had door bell camera proof it wasn't delivered when they said. It was 3 bottles of hot sauce I bought on Amazon. They had me contact the store via email and vola...they were sending it out again...at no charge.

Utahtea
My only issue with delivery is they said it was delivered and it wasn't.

I had to think hard but came up with two issues - one from REI where the shipping tracking had a package going hither and yon and(not kidding) I think about 25 updates with no delivery. They sent a replacement that did get to me. When the original package showed up, I returned in to my store which was actually a few blocks away. They gave me a $20 for my honesty. BTW, nothing in the package was available in the store.

The other was from Amazon that said delivered and wasn't. It was an odd combo - furniture sliders and gummi bears. That took awhile to get replaced - the furniture sliders were a tiny project in March. I got the original package maybe in July or early August. I did not try to explain it and did just keep it. It is difficult to get to customer service on Amazon and I gave up. This was ordered because even with "essential" stores, I wasn't going anywhere in March.

Both of those were in a different location. Where I am now, a package could probably sit for days without being disturbed but with no travel, I haven't tested it.
It is difficult to get to customer service on Amazon and I gave up.

Chat with Amazon customer service has been reasonably easy to contact and useful. Attempting to call is a lesson in futility.