Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 20

Padavona:
thats precisely the point you are missing!
Intel has 82% of the market now...a mature gorilla with little room to grow. Amd has 17% of the market only, with a discontinuous innovation (in athlon)

You still need to read the book. Your definition of discontinuous innovation is faulty as well, for we would need to consider each x086 processor upgrade as discontinuous under these overly loose criteria.

The Athlon is a continuous innovation. The PC as we know it is not changing based on this innovation. The Athlon still uses standard ram, understands disk access, and runs the Windows OS just fine. Hardly discontinuous.

I'll state it one last time, and hopefully this time it will sink in: The Athlon is a continuous innovation, not a discontinuous innovation. And the Atari2600 was a royalty play which was subverted to prince status at best as soon as the other players entered the game. It was never a gorilla by anyone's definition...except of course by those who refuse to read the book, but love to comment on the book.

it can make major inroad to intel's turf. Even minor gains in market share can rocket amd's stock price.

This is true yet it has nothing to do with the Gorilla Game strategy. So why it is posted here I do not understand.

However one point which does apply to Gorilla Gaming should be made. Intel still makes the rules in this industry. They can stumble, and although the market will punish them they will rebound provided they continue to execute in the future.

Then you have AMD. As a PC-afficianado who has been frustrated in the past with AMD's lack of consistency with bringing technology to the forefront (missed projections, late releases), I would feel I was walking on a tight rope as an AMD investor. One wrong move by AMD and they are back to being Intel's red headed step child.

The world is moving forward. At a recent technology conference hilighted on ZDTV, I was interested watching the vision of the future wired home and the future of wireless computing. Among the presenters were Sun Microsystems, Intel, Microsoft, Oracle...the usual suspects. Funny. I did not see AMD.

So while I agree AMD has nice potential short term upside, I believe INTC has a much better chance of remaining a major player 10 years from now.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.